Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves don't consider ash glaze a wood product  (Read 757 times)

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
Elves don't consider ash glaze a wood product
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »

Haven't put this on the bug tracker yet, not sure it needs to either. But the elves seem happy to trade for pottery glazed with ash but won't take clear glass items or the ash used to make the glaze. Not a big deal I guess but its those little inconsistencies that bugs me, the elves can tell that clear glass uses tress but not the nice gray glaze on my earthenware crafts. Questions, comments and mockery of elves all welcomed.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves don't consider ash glaze a wood product
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »

Why would the hippies not trade the highest and latest technology in quantum storage? I mean, they can store their entire civ plants on a large pot. And now, its on a pot, a mobile pot! Put it on your bag, voila, the entire world flora is compressed in a pot. You probably ever heard of quantum storage in a single tile, but you cant move tiles. Now, you can have mobile quantum pots! Dwarf engineering is truly awesome.

But seriously, maybe its because you can glaze with cassiterite too. Its like green glass, you need fuel to make it. Will they ever know if it was made with wood logs, charcoal, or magma?

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:09 pm »

They also don't consider certain animal product crafts to be offensive, either..  I don't remember specifically but I think i accidentally traded mountain goat horn crafts to the elves and they were fine with it.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:59 pm »

They also don't consider certain animal product crafts to be offensive, either..  I don't remember specifically but I think i accidentally traded mountain goat horn crafts to the elves and they were fine with it.

I think you can even trade meat to them.  I don't think they care about animals at all, just wood.  Clearly, they were born with logs instead of brains.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »

They've always accepted my bone crafts as long as I've been playing this game.  Which is not as long as some people have been playing... maybe the elves were different before the 40d series when I started.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure that they haven't cared about animal products since the 2d version.

Ash Glaze has got to be an oversight, though.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »

Elves aren't really up to date on the latest and greatest of Dwarven atrocities.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:27 am »

Elves aren't really up to date on the latest and greatest of Dwarven atrocities.
I know, and you'd think they would appreciate my attempt to explain to them what has going on. But when I showed them the ashes I used to make the glaze at the depot they just stormed out and shouted something about how I desecrated the scared trees or some such nonsense. Which fine since I was worried the fort wouldn't meet its death export quotas after all the kolbolds starved to death.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:14 am »

Not all ash is from wood. Volcanoes kick out plenty of ash sans-wood.