Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last words  (Read 757 times)

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
Last words
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:49:06 pm »

As i play adventure mode i sometimes wonder when my the best hero meets his untimely end, i wonder what would his last words have been? Did he lament his terrible fate, rush into battle with a battlecry of epic proportions, did he want his mommy? at the very least it would add some interesting engravings. It would only really work well if it was reserved for only the best and most powerful heroes( i really dont want an engraving of nameless peasant 2314 discussing his favorite cheese as a bronze collosus steps on his house)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Last words
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »

I'd rather have the ability to say things that may or may not be heroic in situations where you may or may not die rather than a random string being generated on death.

Procedural, not random.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »

i really dont want an engraving of nameless peasant 2314 discussing his favorite cheese as a bronze collosus steps on his house

I disagree. I think it'd be quite hilarious.

"This is a masterwork engraving. On the engraving is a picture of a dwarf, a piece of cheese and a bronze colossus. The dwarf is holding the cheese. The bronze colossus is stepping on the dwarf. This relates to the death of Urist McCheesemaker at the feet of the Bronze Colossus while discussing his favorite type of cheese."
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »

^This.

"On the engraving is and elf, a spear, and a dwarf. The spear is piercing the elf. The elf is admiring the masterwork spear."
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:32 pm »

I'd rather have the ability to say things that may or may not be heroic in situations where you may or may not die rather than a random string being generated on death.

Procedural, not random.
Sort of like:
I am so and so.
Killer of this and that.
Prepare to die.

??

Yea if that's expanded upon, that would definitely be awesome and totally dwarf fortress.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:20 pm »

Sort of like:
I am so and so.
Killer of this and that.
Prepare to die.

??

Yea if that's expanded upon, that would definitely be awesome and totally dwarf fortress.

"I am Inigo Montoya.
Killer of my father.
Prepare to die!"
?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »

He's talking about the celebrated ShitTalk() subroutine.   But that is also acceptable.

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:22 am »

yeah regardless of how its implemented in engravings, whether a reference to the situation or the actual words themselves, it would add some humor. Being able to choose what is said kinda goes against the whole vibe of dwarf fortress in my opinion, unless it was in the meeting of the enemy. It would give a reason to listen to all 134 kills of so and so hydra if i could respond to it, or even interrupt the sequence and make it angry

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:17 am »

Well, I'm not too keen on having procedurally generated death lines since, if "we are the adventurer", then shouldn't we be the ones putting those words into his mouth?  (And wouldn't those words probably be something like "Goddamnit, why does water freeze the instant I dodge into it EVERY DAMN TIME?")

Any sort of final words should be something that encapsulates what the adventurer's life at their final state was like.  Instead, when being treated to yet another stupid death, if we get an even more random line about liking cheese, it just cheapens the already cheap life in DF even more.  Yes, life being absurdly cheap is "the whole vibe" of DF, but if this game is going to be a world simulator / story creator, you need to have life at least a little valuable, or they're never going to be more than Peasant Who Mentioned Cheese When Eaten By Dragon #15376.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »

On top of this we should have one liners when you defeat a significant historical figure that is including in legends or engravings. I find this hilarious. "Hey Urist sorry to cut you a little short" or "Hey night troll, troll this!"

or they're never going to be more than Peasant Who Mentioned Cheese When Eaten By Dragon #15376.

Still more amusing then having ten dozen engravings in your dining room about said dragon eating said peasant like you should know who they are.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

Well, I'm not too keen on having procedurally generated death lines since, if "we are the adventurer", then shouldn't we be the ones putting those words into his mouth?  (And wouldn't those words probably be something like "Goddamnit, why does water freeze the instant I dodge into it EVERY DAMN TIME?")

I think the last words here would be "Please don't freeze, please don't fre-"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:54 pm »

I think the last words here would be "Please don't freeze, please don't fre-"

Urist McEvil: "It's frickin' freezin' in here, Mr. Bigglesworth!"
Block of ice with an obviously plastic cat inside: "M-mr-mr-r-rreow!"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare