Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And so it begins...  (Read 513 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
And so it begins...
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:54:35 am »

So my fort in .19 has finally progressed to the time when a Mayor was elected. I had chosen a site with both shallow metals and deep metals and flux in hopes of being able to have a decent metalworking industry. I ended up with iron and native copper on the surface, and tetrahedrite below (I actually just had two separate biomes of "deep metal" which the site finder interpreted as multiple deep metals, when both biomes actually just have tetrahedrite - lame).

So of course the first thing the Mayor - my beekeeper - does upon being elected is demand 3 zinc items.

Given the turnaround on requests from the caravan, it's pretty much impossible for me to make 3 zinc items in time. Currently, however, I don't even have a sheriff. So, what should I do?

a) Toss the Mayor in the Magma Sea.
b) Reappoint the mayor immediately to end the mandate (does this work?)
c) Ignore it and let him put in some justice on someone, but never appoint a Sheriff to actually carry it out.
d) Appoint a sheriff and build a prison to suck it up.

I'm gonna have to survey my dwarves to find a suitable Baron. Hopefully one of my dwarves likes chalk, iron, and copper, because that's all he's gonna friggin get.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »

Mandates should really be extended in length, to allow for a caravan to bring in the stuff.  I know how much you love bismuth, but WE HAVE NONE!

Make a few ropes and assign them to justice, and then appoint a sheriff.  In that order.  If you assign a sheriff first, he'll go skull-bashing instead of locking people up.  Hopefully, the jailing will offset the mayor's annoyance at the missed mandate, and he'll be happy still.  Plus, dwarves are friggin cave dwellers.  If you chain them up they hardly notice, they're still underground!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:13 pm »

I agree, mandates should be longer and/or less frequent in this version. You could just try to ignore it and do your best to make the mayor happy otherwise: waterfall, masterwork furniture, a pet, whatever. If the mayor gets too pissy about it and doesn't want to be cheered up (which is what happened in my limited experience with failed mandates), you can bite the bullet and make a jail.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »

My present mayor is a militia captain, who began her career by murdering two during a tantrum, and then hurting some animals, and furniture etc. etc.  She has to do something like 509 days in prison (if I kept a justice system).  Thoughts include "She was upset by the delayed punishment of a criminal. She was happy to have escaped punishment."
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:16:05 pm »

Bwahaha. Gotta love this game!