Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hurr Durr No Job  (Read 704 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hurr Durr No Job
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:45 pm »

My miner has no job, or is on a constant break. Despite the fact that I have a designated great swathe of cavern to be carved out. Wut?
My other dwarves don't stockpile, they cut down trees and gather plants.. but don't put them anywhere. They just leave them where they are...
I think my brewer, the expedition leader/farmer and the other, now dead from starvation (despite having food...), miner are the only dwarves that actually do their jobs. 

Seriously though, how exactly do I get these lazy sods to shift their arse's?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:25:11 pm by MasterMorality »

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurr Durr No Job
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:33:15 pm »

You might want to double check to make sure your dwarfs have a path to where they should be going. You may have knocked out a critical stair case some where or something.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:47:42 pm »

Ok, it was some kind of pathing error. They just hate slopes or something?
I had to build a staircase before they would do things.

My dwarves are retarded...

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »

Ramps are tricky to use. It's not your dwarves' fault. Read up on their use on the Dwarf wiki.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »

I just ran into this problem. I have what should be a perfectly functional ramp, yet my miner, who managed to use it to go down after carving it, starved to death due to it being unusable to go up again. I save scummed and carved a stairway up, which he promptly used, and then made a beeline for the food stockpile.

In other words, I believe ramps may be bugged. No idea what caused it otherwise, as the ramp used was identical to the other, functioning ones in my fort.

Oh well, time for the standard 3x3 main staircase that I used to use before I heard that ramps use less computer resources.

EDIT: I take that back. I think it may be because I reversed direction with the ramp without thinking about it. Would that turn a ramp into a deathtrap?

EDIT: Hehe, if that's true that it makes ramps one way if you reverse direction, you could make a FB trap with a noble desperately pulling a lever as bait if he was the closest to the entrance to the caverns, and down a one way ramp.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:58:13 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:21:10 pm »

I think they might be bugged. I assumed I just built them wrong, and so I built a second depot outside. Merchant caravan arrived later, used the indoor depot, I'm assuming they came down the ramp?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »

I use nothing but ramps in my fortresses now.  No problems.  Be sure that you have a wall supporting the ramp on the side opposite the side from which you want the Dwarves to use it, and that the top of the ramp is fully accessable.  If you put a ramp up to a wall which has another wall directly above it, the Dwarves cannot step off the ramp onto the upper layer.  For some reason, though, they can jump down to the lower layer from the upper one.  I suppose the edge up to it and slide down.  They just can't pull themselves back up the same way.

Yes:
_
X\_

No:

X
X\_

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.