Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diplomats/Messengers to neighboring civilizations  (Read 1062 times)

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diplomats/Messengers to neighboring civilizations
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »

So, my basic wish is I want to trigger sieges whenever I want for more fun.  My idea is to send either dwarves or messenger animals (birds, dogs, I dunno) to other civilizations.  You could give compliments or gifts to improve relations, or deliver horrible insults that trigger an automatic siege and the likely death of the sent dwarf/creature.  The effectiveness of the dwarf would be based on social skills, and sending dwarves would be better than a letter via animal. 

Not sure if other people have thought of this, but I think it would be a relatively simple feature.  It would add a layer of interactivity with the world around you, and would give an easy way for players to quickly piss off everybody around them for a good ol' time. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomats/Messengers to neighboring civilizations
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:35:56 pm »

If you aren't sure if other people have thought of things, it's a good idea to check on the devpages or use the search feature to do so.

Currently, Toady has already slated for the game to have the ability to send dwarves off into armies and invade neighboring sites, as well as have diplomatic options with those sites.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »

If you aren't sure if other people have thought of things, it's a good idea to check on the devpages or use the search feature to do so.

Currently, Toady has already slated for the game to have the ability to send dwarves off into armies and invade neighboring sites, as well as have diplomatic options with those sites.

Well Mr. High and Mighty, I definitely tried the search first, and by devpage do you mean this http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html ?  That hasn't been updated in god knows how long.  Or if there is a more day-to-day development plan, I would really be interested! 

I think it could be a higher priority than something like bees.  Just my 2 cents. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »

Well Mr. High and Mighty, I definitely tried the search first, and by devpage do you mean this http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html ?  That hasn't been updated in god knows how long.  Or if there is a more day-to-day development plan, I would really be interested! 

I think it could be a higher priority than something like bees.  Just my 2 cents.

Actually, that devpage was updated a few days ago. This page has the most up-to-date information of anywhere.

Look, I'm not trying to be Mr. High and Mighty, and I generally respond to these repeat suggestions first in a neutral tone because other posters can be much more blunt about these things than I am.

Amusingly enough, showing dissatisfaction about honeybees being a priority in the suggestions forum has also been done.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare