Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deep are deep metals?  (Read 1722 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
How deep are deep metals?
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:55:20 pm »

My current fort has multiple deep metals (no shallow, because there are no such sites on my pocket region, I hate you worldgen) and I'm digging for them as we speak. However, how deep should I have to go before I find said deep metals?? I'd like to have an inkling of what level disappointment and bismuth can be found.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How deep are deep metals?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

I too have "deep metals". I hit magma and have yet to find any metal. I have not done any exploratory mining however. (going to now that I don't need the conspicuously missing bit. coal.) In .18 i usually got several ore announcements every cavern but nothing now in .19. the shortage of metal is making it hard for my forts to survive any exposure to danger so I haven't explored as much as I could have. In forts with "shallow metal" its easy to find metal 3-5+ layers deep, but the only "deep metal" I've found yet is gold (I think it was in the last 2 caverns and down to the Magma sea.)

If anyone has useful (new) tips for exploratory mining, I'm all ears.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:42 pm »

I found my deep metals just above the first cavern. It was considerably deeper then it usually is.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

The wiki has a page on exploratory mining, which has pretty much all useful patterns. My guess is that now that veins are rarer bug possibly bigger, the patterns with about 1-2/3 revealed tiles would do well.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:03 am »

They are rarer, but NOT bigger.

I genned exactly 21 worlds where NO civ had *ANY* access to iron, effectively ruining the game for me.  Finally on gen 22 it worked.

I have since added two new iron ores that behave like their real life counterpart.  The soil resident tiny cluster Geothite (AKA Bog Iron) and the sedimentary small clustered Sederite.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »

They are rarer, but NOT bigger.

I genned exactly 21 worlds where NO civ had *ANY* access to iron, effectively ruining the game for me.  Finally on gen 22 it worked.

I have since added two new iron ores that behave like their real life counterpart.  The soil resident tiny cluster Geothite (AKA Bog Iron) and the sedimentary small clustered Sederite.

Are generating pocket worlds? Cause I've got iron in at least a few civs every single time. In one case I got every metal in a civ, though considerably less of everything else. I'm generating large and medium worlds which I will agree can be a problem in it's self.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz