Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Creature -> Big Encumbrance?  (Read 632 times)

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big Creature -> Big Encumbrance?
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:39 pm »

If you mod a very large creature, say a cyclops, to wear armor, will the weight of the armor encumber it?

I ask because this seems to be the case for a modding project I'm working on, but I haven't been able to find any information about how encumbrance works in DF2010. My best guess is that strength solely determines the threshold for encumbrance regardless of the creature's size, and that appears to be how it was in 40d, but I thought I'd ask you all in case it's not a lost cause to armor really big creatures. (It seems that shields sized for big creatures are especially bad about this.)
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Big Creature -> Big Encumbrance?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:51 pm »

You can always increase the minimum strength range for your big creatures.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:01 am »

I remember when someone made enormous uberdwarves for some hell-conquering project the weight of their enormous clothes was enough to slow them down terribly, so yeah, you should probably boost the minimum strength range, which should help a little.  Not a whole lot else you can do about it.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

Thanks for the advice!

What I have here is that the creatures grow to a little under cyclops size over about a thousand years, though they're still larger than normal after a few hundred. I'll definitely try messing with their strength ranges, but I might also try tweaking their growth rates and castes to make most of them only a little larger than humans. I'm thinking now that I might need to do both.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »

I hear armour user makes you less burdened by armour, so you can give your cyclopi (is that the term?) natural skill in armour user.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »

Why hello there, Urist. Thanks for the suggestion! That might solve the problem with armor, especially if the skill only affects speed/encumbrance.

I might just disallow shields for the cyclopi/cyclopes/cyclopses, though, since high shield skill might make them too too overpowered.

C'est la vie