Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to make an Undead civ?  (Read 685 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Is it possible to make an Undead civ?
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:04:47 pm »

I think a civ composed of undead humans/elves/dwarves/and other things would be rather neat. Rename Lords and Ladies to 'Necromancers' and such.

The question is, is it possible in current DF?
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make an Undead civ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:05:38 pm »

It could be possible, if you make different castes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:13:08 pm by Ultimuh »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:47 pm »

Not "undead", no. You can't make anything undead on demand (to pedants: You can't make anything undead on demand without memory hacking). You can make something made entirely out of bones (and ligaments), that's unaffected by pain and organic syndromes, that doesn't need to sleep or eat or drink, etc., but you can't make "undead".

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:13 pm »

Well, he can name the civ Undead, so technically, yes?
Tough tagging it undead might be imnpossible.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

You/I mean "effectively yes, technically no".

Additional thought: Undead need some kind of weakness to make up for their advantages. A caste of the other (enemy) civs could act as a priest/religious leader/general "holy" type and involve syndrome-inducing mats that affect only the "undead".

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

It depends on what you have in mind. If you want undead like the ones already in Dwarf Fortress as a civ, that's not going to happen. There's no tag you can add to a creature to make them spawn as an undead. However, as mentioned before you can design creatures with undead qualities such as missing limbs, no skin, made only of bones etc. And with the caste system you can have a single race that contains several different species of undead.

Just be careful though. I tried making a psuedo-undead creature once and it crashed the game when it spawned. Granted I was very new to modding at the time I made it.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:19 pm »

you could poke around in the raws from deon's genesis, they've got some undead-like types in the 'scum' file, mummies, lost adventurers, and ghouls. could give you ideas or possibly help explain what was missed that caused the game to crash. just make sure to look in all the associated files, such as anything template related to see, for example, mummy wrappings and such

and, of course, if you're gonna try to use anything directly from there, may wanna ask permission of deon and/or whoever created said 'undead' and gave deon permission to use them (if he wasn't the creator...it's hard to keep track of who did what in a lot of the mods out there)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:07:27 pm »

You can make 'plauge zombie' but not so much 'flesh golem'.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »

SethCreiyd created a mod called Wizard Tower. It has exactly what you are looking for under the creature_magical_ff file. If you are going to release a mod you should ask for permission or include him in the credits if your just going to copy and paste.

LINK http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2515

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!