Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bring D&D Monsters to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1980 times)

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring D&D Monsters to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

It is not. Especially not in an ASCII game. Why? Because combat will usually be the same, i.e. wrestle, beat it with your weapon, or shoot/throw projectiles at it. The only "real" difference will be the how lethal said opponent is (aside from current things like firebreath, and dragon fire), and what symbol it's represented by. Furthermore, the Darf Fortress mode is almost assuredly going to remain the most prominent feature of this game, and as such, things that pertain specifically to it, such as rewalling or filling in channels, are of far more importance, than creatures.

In short, my opinion is that the names/descriptions of "Critter's" just doesn't cut it, in comparison to more important game issues.

Also, you probably shouldn't bash Toady's creature's, before you read the Three-toe's Development stories. They're quite good, and hint at some pretty neat stuff that will be done with some of the creatures.

[ November 08, 2006: Message edited by: Shingo ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »

Shingo, Toady has indicated in the past that Adventure mode and Dwarf mode will eventually merge, so improvements to the highly underdeveloped adventure mode aren't a total loss for dedicated Dwarf mode players.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

I don't see any problem making your own mod including whatever you want.  If you can stay under Hasbro's radar, good for you.  If not, you stop hosting the mod and DF is unaffected.
Pages: 1 [2]