Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So - what's changed?  (Read 355 times)

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So - what's changed?
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:30 pm »

Hello forum. I haven't played DF since about 31.08, which was when I decided to stop playing all computer games and focus on becoming a happy and productive person. Now that I'm back - what's the news since then? Last time I played, hospitals didn't work properly, and nor did the military (as I remember). Are they working sanely now?
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So - what's changed?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »

You'd be better served checking other threads and/or checking the main page for a more comprehensive list, however since I'm writing I may as well also put something productive in:

I don't remember specifically what was in in 31.08 however...

Hospitals work fairly well now though some things are still bugged (crutches don't work, unless they were just fixed in the last update, haven't tested them since then, sometimes it can be hard to assign stuff to a hospital in terms of supplies and you cannot limit what kind of supplies are used in an easy way so you can end up with a dwarf being sutured with adamantine strands).

Military works well, some people still complain about it but I've found it to be very easy to use (sure the menu can be a bit overwhelming but everything is explained very well within and for additional info there is of course the wiki and forum).  I have had high success with them equipping what I want them to in a reasonable time and they are much easier to use to attack/defend then the old military (IMO).

In the newest version metals have been seriously reduced in numbers, there are many new farm animals added (and you now have to feed large grazing animals lest they starve), there are a few new industries (eggs/wool/beekeeping/etc).

Overall, while there are still bugs here and there, there are no (that I've noticed at least) major gamebreaking bugs, or honestly even really irritating bugs (the worst being the lack of functional crutches which leads to a lot of perma-crippled dwarves after accidents).

-MB