Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap issue.  (Read 1305 times)

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap issue.
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:39:14 am »

I recently starte DF again and decided to stick with a relativly small population of dwarves (50).
so i went to the d_init.txt file and changed the [POPULATION_CAP:50] from 200 to 50.

Am i missing something essential here because i just had a migration wave even tough my population was at 54...

Any other line i missed or so?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap issue.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:13:16 am »

Had the same issue with my last fortress in .18 ...
Immigration wave appeared although my pop cap was at 200.

The only thing I can think of is,
that maybe babies/children are counted as inhabitants in the z-screen,
but donīt count towards the population cap

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:53:50 am »

Hmm i i had maybe 1 baby or 2.. but well if it stops there then its fine.

For once the immigrants were handy to replace the fodder lost during the war against the lizardmen and crocs in the caves

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »

I've heard a couple of answers to this, but not experimented enough to know which one is true.

1) Once you set the population cap, it doesn't take effect until after the next wave of immigrants arrives.

2) Once you set the population cap, it doesn't take effect until after the next visit from the dwarf liaison.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

The explanation I have heard is that immigration waves start, and then after a set amount of time they arrive.  However your population is only counted as the dwarves actually *at* your fort, and only once that count as reached a sufficient number immigration waves will no longer *start*.  But, any immigration waves already on their way will keep coming, which can result in one wave putting you over the top, then another arriving later on anyway, because those dwarves started travelling before your fortress population reached the cap.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:22:42 pm »

Population caps have never been exact, if the game sends 1-5 more dwarves it's normal. However it have been iffy as of the last few versions. I would set it to say, 30 or so, my population would reach 32 and then for the next one or two years I'd get migrant waves of 1 dwarf. It does stop migrations after a while though.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

Yeah, you need to set it lower than your target population. I want 140 dwarfs in my fort because I've never had a king, but setting the population cap 140 got me to around 160 or so dwarfs which is too many for my machine to handle without  suffering from fps issues. I made a new fort with my cap set to 125 figuring I'd hit 140 eventually from births and migrants. The fort is sitting at 122 right now, so I think I'll hit 140 population in a wave or two.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:38 pm »

Just throw a few into a volcano. No problem. You'll even get to spiffy up your fort with slabs in their honor.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:02 am »

Yup, population cap doesn't relieve you from building migrant killing traps.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:09:57 am »

Supposedly, you get two migrant waves after you reach population cap. Even if your cap is 0 dwarves. This is just what I hear though. I never reach max cap I just keep letting the dwarfs come.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz