Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Mouse Interface in fortress mode?  (Read 351 times)

Tiefblau

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More Mouse Interface in fortress mode?
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:22:02 am »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned and shunned, but I find some simple functions such as the below would be easy to implement and nice to see:

1. Being able to use the mouse for the X cursor in all interfaces other than just the designation menu (e.g. [l]ooking around, [v]iew creature, [q] building options etc)
2. To be able to click and drag to rectangle select or designate.
3. Use scroll for scrolling functions?
4. Mouse clicks to select options on sidebar.
5. (This one is not a mouse issue, just one of my ramblings) Would be nice to see [>] as > instead of upstairs icon (took me forever to figure out what a blank symbol for one-step pauses represent on keyboard), and same other keyboard icons...

I'm not an expert in programming, but I think it should be quite simple. :-\

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: More Mouse Interface in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:39 am »

If you think something has probably been suggested before, there's the search function at the top right of the forum window.  You are encouraged to use it before you make your suggestions, to ensure you aren't accidentally making a duplicate.  (Plus, look at the dev pages before you post, as well, since those are the things already slated to go in, anyway, no need to suggest those.)

Anyway, the thread in this link is a pretty current discussion, only just falling to the second page.

Generally, I don't know if Toady is particularly keen on the mouse, and personally, I don't really like the way that the mouse has been implemented thus far (like with the mouse-paining of burrows).  I'm fine with it if the mouse receives little extra attention, although as long as keyboard functions still work, then it's not like it really hurts me, either. 

Scrolling already does the zoom functions, by the way.  It's pretty neat to actually zoom out all the way, and see a full z-level of a fortress.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tiefblau

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: More Mouse Interface in fortress mode?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:04 am »

Just found the search function, thanks. I really wish you could drag a rectangle with the mouse and use it for functions other than the designations. Hmm, that's true, if you can scroll to zoom in or out why can't it be used for scrolling up and down like for z-levels.