Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoothing under furniture?  (Read 1461 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Smoothing under furniture?
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »

Something I've never bothered to ask: can a dorf smooth a square if there's an object on it? My OCD compels me to smooth an entire room before furnishing it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Smoothing under furniture?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »

From what I've seen it appears that you can smooth under an object if the object doesn't block a dwarf from passing through that tile.  You can smooth under tables and chairs, but you can't smooth under statues.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »

I think placing furniture or even a stockpile while a given surface is designated for smoothing (and possibly engraving) will override that designation. This is, of course, no big deal since you can just designate that area for smoothing after placing furniture.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

In a recent fortress, I found that I could not smooth or engrave the tiles which had tables and chairs placed on them. however, some of them were already smoothed and engraved from before the furniture was placed.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »

From what I've seen it appears that you can smooth under an object if the object doesn't block a dwarf from passing through that tile.  You can smooth under tables and chairs, but you can't smooth under statues.

This. Note, however, that if you designate a tile for smoothing, then (b)uild furniture on it, the designation for smoothing gets borked once the furniture is put into place. I end up with a lot of annoyingly un-smoothed doorways because of this (it's annoying because I have to designate it again 'cause some jackass didn't designate it properly in the first place. I swear, whoever it is that's controlling this fortress, he's a real moron sometimes.)
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.