Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd FPS problem (I thought I) solved  (Read 2121 times)

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd FPS problem (I thought I) solved
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »

Edit: After I left, I realized this is a case of the classic flier problem where creatures can't fly over channeled squares when they have a specific place they want to go across the gap. Still, since the only farm bird it happens to is the goose, I think it's worth posting.

Second edit: My FPS problem returned, and this time it's not the geese. Oh well. Still, the geese won't path properly when they can't find a walkable path, even though their natural wandering will lead them to fly to all sorts of inappropriate places.

The problem and solution:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To sum up: Geese (and only geese) that flew to an unwalkable spot were unable to fly off, even though they flew there in the first place. This appeared to caused immense FPS problems, probably because they were a brain tumor in the pathing algorithm.

Picture:

Notes:

I will be reporting this in the bug tracker as well. Has anyone else observed buggy goose behavior, or similar severe pathing problems with flying pets or untamed animals?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:03:11 pm by Funburns »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Odd FPS problem solved
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:19 pm »

Just had the same bug. I was being spammed with dwarves wanting to take geese back to the pasture, after they had been scared on top of the wall by goblins, but the geese didn't want to come back down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

The way I understand it, flying creatures will only fly to something if they can walk to it.  So, making dwarves able to fly doesn't let them work on the outside of a tower, but if there's a walkable path to the outside of the tower, they'll happily fly up the side and work on a construction.  In this case, the goose is pathing around the top of the wall, and it's not even trying to path down.  After all, there's nothing down there to do, why does it want to leave?  If you give it a definitive reason to leave, such as starving, it will probably leave, but otherwise not really.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »

In this case, the goose is pathing around the top of the wall, and it's not even trying to path down.  After all, there's nothing down there to do, why does it want to leave?  If you give it a definitive reason to leave, such as starving, it will probably leave, but otherwise not really.
Good note about the inabilities of flying dwarves. In this case, the trouble was the geese had no way to walk on to the wall in the first place, and thus must have flown to get there. The really strange part is they refused/were unable to fly to get anywhere else for any discernible reason, even just [MEANDER]-ing around. The geese had a pretty good reason to leave -- they would have hit the nest boxes many times during their self-inflicted imprisonment on that tiny ledge, if only they were able to get down (or up, since the boxes were actually on the ring a level above them).

... *ahem* I know it's going to be a bit of a downer after one reads the first post, but I learned that my geese, while buggy, were not my FPS issue. It's reared its ugly head once again, spikes of lag due to something inside DF, not a background process. No stranded flying creatures or obvious liquid/temperature problems, so I'm going back to the theory it's an FB in my caverns doing this to me, and will continue on my choppily interrupted plan to fix it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:03 pm »

FB don't seem to appear until that cavern is discovered.  At least, I've never stumbled upon an existing FB.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd FPS problem (I thought I) solved
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:04:56 pm »

Oh, I have discovered all three caverns. There are about 4-5 FBs spread through them. I'm building hotels for them in preparation for later web trapping and amusement park construction. One of them laid long trails of extract in a cavern lake... Maybe dfcleanmap will do something.

Edit: It did not.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:07:11 pm by Funburns »