Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Idea for a Challenge (let me know how it goes)  (Read 2690 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a Challenge (let me know how it goes)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 01:22:07 pm »

Whatever happened to the kobold mod?

It's still around and being updated- just search for Kobold Camp in the mods section.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:55:18 pm »

There was Wooddipped in the succession games a little while ago who played this way with a modded elf society. They got murdered by invasions due to lacking any real weaponry.
Can you point me to that thread? I have elves playable in my mod and I'd be interested in seeing problems with them.

As for the challenge, I'm playing as overhauled elves as in my IM mod. They have no access to picks nor axe nor stonework jobs nor engineering jobs nor smithy jobs. Actually they can get picks or axes but human/dwarven caravans arrive at year 3 or so and I'm playing with FD mod so I still need to survive some sieges. So far, the only things that save them from being wiped out are the animals and powerful (wooden) arrows.

Spoiler: elf fort (click to show/hide)

We would have lived much longer if EvilFuzzy didn't build that god damn roof over his water-fall terrace.
There where picks and such, but there where some rules to make it more elfy (only cage trap, no underground homes, etc.).
www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73969.0
The lack of metal sucked and there was a bug with the mod that kept us from making more than one squad, so our military really sucked. Staying in the walls helped. Also that kick-ass cage trap bridge Bowie built. That thing was cool.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 02:55:15 pm »

We would have lived much longer if EvilFuzzy didn't build that god damn roof over his water-fall terrace.
There where picks and such, but there where some rules to make it more elfy (only cage trap, no underground homes, etc.).
www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73969.0
The lack of metal sucked and there was a bug with the mod that kept us from making more than one squad, so our military really sucked. Staying in the walls helped. Also that kick-ass cage trap bridge Bowie built. That thing was cool.
I read through the log and it was interesting. The elves I have and the elves you used were quite similar with the notable difference of mine not having access to mechanisms all together. If you do an another elf fort, it'd be nice if you consider my elves and even if deemed not suitable for the game, give some feedback. If I'm informed I'd be happy to observe your game for inspiration as well. And maybe help a bit with modding elves to your liking.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 03:54:31 pm »

- Ideally this would be a 31.20 fort.
Did Toady just release another update, and if so, what's in it that makes it more ideal than, say, 31.18?
Ideally it'd be like .19 without all the bugs. Most notable are grazing, vermin biting & creatures spawn chance, all of which I already have plans for.

And if you dont like picks just dont use them.
I wasn't sure if there was a specific bug/feature in .19 or .20 that would be required for his idea of this fort.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 04:28:52 pm »

I wasn't sure if there was a specific bug/feature in .19 or .20 that would be required for his idea of this fort.

With the implementation of grazing animals, and no cavern products, dwarves would have to farm on the surface. Theoretically you could survive on dog or cat meat and aquifer water, but that would be very hillbilly and dull.

For people that hate "elfy" forts, my suggestion would still allow stone and metal usage (i.e. embark on surface iron in flux stone), but controlling a large area of the surface for woodcutting, farming, and grazing would be essential. The exile backstory sort of explains the dwarves being banned from the caverns and the dwarf Priest (or name it Oracle) could be the player's avatar, a voice for the will of the gods.
Pages: 1 [2]