Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 1261 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DC Universe Online
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:15:52 pm »

I'll forgo the wall of text and say this about beta.........

PC: Nay!
PS3: Yay!

Fighting game combos and limited personalization both are great for the first console MMORPG but unacceptable for this generation of MMO development on PC.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

I disagree, I found it more enjoyable to play than most other MMOs I've seen in a while, on PC

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:29 pm »

I applaud you and your mighty button mashing skills. May your mouse last the holiday season. Seriously I am in awe of anyone who makes it to level 20 on the pc with this. I love the gameplay, I just feel that the limited powers and customization options don't offer the level of finish gamers expect. Maybe we're a spoiled lot. I definately think it's a quality game and has a lot to offer.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:25:27 am »

I applaud you and your mighty button mashing skills. May your mouse last the holiday season. Seriously I am in awe of anyone who makes it to level 20 on the pc with this. I love the gameplay, I just feel that the limited powers and customization options don't offer the level of finish gamers expect. Maybe we're a spoiled lot. I definately think it's a quality game and has a lot to offer.

One of the major problems is that they REALLY should start thinking about the PC and PS3 versions as seperate entities especially since, apperantly, they don't play together (assuming the person who told me that is correct)

A lot of the menus are just bulky and not good to use, especially character creation.

If Champion Online wasn't so floppy I'd just play that. It's character customisation is pretty much the best... even if it is quite cartoony even when you remove the thick lines.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:15 pm »

*walks into a dark room mumbling dark and ancient chants. Surrounded by runes painted with blood a dark laptop with a blank white glowing screen flickers. With eyes intent on spreading evil across the interwebs I say:*
"I command you thread! RISE!"

So um... I like DC universe online, do you guys like DC  universe online?

I play on the PC and I dont find it too button mashy. My weapon style is the brawling one and I lurve me sum combos. I especially like the double backhand, soccer/football kick and haymaker combos.

I also went with psychic powers and focused on telekinesis. I'm a bit mixed on this one. on one hand I have the fight ending telekinetic bolt that I can use to make fights never happen in the first place but on the other I have mass levitation which is the same thing but stronger and shorter range which almost never has the chance to actually happen (gets interrupted)

For soloing, mass levitation is pretty garbage but i can see it being a very strong opening to a group fight once the tank has aggro. Also watching an enemy float in the air helplessly as a bus flies down the street to smash into it is pretty awesome for a first level power.

I found that the game makes you feel powerful right from the get-go which is nice in comparison to other MMO's I've played. I can take on 3-4 similar level enemies at once with fair enough ease and I only start to get bogged down at 5. In other MMO's I tend to be able to take on 2 at a time, 3 max. Being able to fly, move fast, at level 1 is also a nice perk.

I didn't find the "lack of variety" in the two main locals to be a problem at all, especially with spotting clues and such. I find Metropolis to be the better city (tall buildings are tall) but I like Gotham more for it's super heroes and villains.

Also not many MMO's let you make a character like mine. minor grip that the cheetah pattern isn't available at character creation (though I hear its available to villains through pvp) but its not like its available much anywhere else.

The interface can certainly use some improvments but nothing game breaking so far. Can I save up power points for the 22nd level iconic powers or will it only let me have one of those at level 22? (currently lvl 20)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »

The fact that only horrible people I know of play it pushes me away from it like some sort of negative black hole.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »

The PC version's UI is awful. If that monstrosity was less terrible to try to use, I'd probably continue playing the game. But it feels like they didn't even try to make it work well for PC.

Combat's cool, but grabbing loot as a superhero feels silly and forced-grindish.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »

I hate this generation of games, where they are made for consoles, then badly adapted for PC, not bothering to take advantage of the added flexibility of PC controls (a mouse and keyboards with dozens of keys)

There are some exceptions, but most of the multiplataform games are horrible on PC

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »

I hate this generation of games, where they are made for consoles, then badly adapted for PC, not bothering to take advantage of the added flexibility of PC controls (a mouse and keyboards with dozens of keys)

There are some exceptions, but most of the multiplataform games are horrible on PC

That is why you should always be careful of multiplatform games.

PS3 and Xbox360 are perfectly fine the differences are minor and the times it made a difference are the exception rather then the rule.

But games that also include the PC, Wii, or even portables are the ones you have to be careful of.

Anyhow I mastered the PC controls and even I think the UI controls for it is horrible. Doing all the acrobatic missions made it rather obvious how bad it could get.