Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Telltale Thread: Now: BTTF Episode 2 Next: Jurassic Park and Walking Dead!  (Read 852 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been thinking of making a Telltale thread for a while, but now with the announcement of the new comic games (Walking Dead and Fables), I have to start a place for discussion.

So to go over what's happening with Telltale right now:

Back to the Future: (Trailer)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Their newest series, which just got to the second episode on February 16th. It's intended to be kind of like BttF 4, with Bob Gale helping Telltale to lay out the story and a voice actor for Marty that sounds uncannily like Michael J. Fox. It's a funny adventure game based around time travel, which is right up my alley.

Jurassic Park: (Trailer)
The second game from the Universal deal and the first "serious" game Telltale is making. There are rumors that instead of a traditional adventure game, it will be more akin to Heavy Rain with lots of quicktime events, which makes me feel a bit queasy.

The trailer just came out yesterday and the series was announced to start on April 2011.

The Walking Dead:
This is the series I'm super excited about and I didn't see coming at all. I absolutely love the comics and now one of my favourite developers are making a game out of it. Depending on how Telltale can handle a serious game (Jurassic Park will show that), this might turn out to be really really good. As Walking Dead is less about the zombies themselves and more about people living in a zombie-infested world, I think it can work as an adventure game.

The last announced series is of the comic Fables, which I don't much enough, but that along with all the previous games from Bone and Sam & Max to Poker Night at The inventory and Puzzle Agent are all up for discussion.

Episode impressions, thoughts about TF2 tie-ins, gushing about the new series, predictions on how they will rock or suck, comments about raptors not having feathers and complaints of time travel paradoxes are all good. So feel free to post anything like that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:15:04 pm by LASD »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

i expect that Walking Dead will be a Survival game

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

-snip-
The Walking Dead:
This is the series I'm super excited about and I didn't see coming at all. I absolutely love the comics and now one of my favourite developers are making a game out of it. Depending on how Telltale can handle a serious game (Jurassic Park will show that), this might turn out to be really really good. As Walking Dead is less about the zombies themselves and more about people living in a zombie-infested world, I think it can work as an adventure game.
-snip-

Has there ever been a story about the zombies and not the people trying to avoid/survive zombies? I am being silly, but seriously, wouldnt that be funny if we focused on the zombies? Coming home broken from a day of chasing the living down for brains, their struggles and hardships regarding their rotting bodies, day to day emotional struggles with life(?) as an undead...

wait what?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:29:03 am by ductape »
I got nothing

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

you want a story about the zombies? ok then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubbs_the_Zombie_in_Rebel_Without_a_Pulse

game was so awesome XD
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:24:15 am by Tellemurius »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

The walking dead comic is amazing, but I'm interested to see how the game will come out.  It doesn't seem to lend itself to Telltales usual cartoony  looks.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has there ever been a story about the zombies and not the people trying to avoid/survive zombies? I am being silly, but seriously, wouldnt that be funny if we focused on the zombies? Coming home broken from a day of chasing the living down for brains, their struggles and hardships regarding their rotting bodies, day to day emotional struggles with life(?) as an undead...

wait what?
Yeah, guess I put that in a quite weird way. What I meant was it's not really about fighting zombies or surviving them like most films of the genre for example. Walking Dead is more about what it does to the human psyche and society to live in that kind of stress all the time.

Though now that you said it, It'd be fascinating to have a game where the player is a zombie and everyone else is normal. Zombies tend to have a really bad rep, so that would set up conflict nicely. Also, if it were an action game, there would be no need to explain why everyone you see keeps attacking you, which is kind of weird in many games.

Oh wow, huh, that Stubbs game seems pretty close.

The walking dead comic is amazing, but I'm interested to see how the game will come out.  It doesn't seem to lend itself to Telltales usual cartoony  looks.  :)
Yeah, that's true, but they seem to be making leaps and bounds on the engine, so late this year they might be able to pull of a great apocalyptic look for it. The Jurassic Park Trailer shows that they can already produce quite realistic-looking characters, so I'm hopeful.  :)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh whoops, double post.

Guess I'll use it to link to this short interview with Robert Kirkman about the Walking Dead game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:13:26 pm by LASD »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is an intentional second post, because even more Telltale news just announced!

Puzzle Agent 2 is on the way! Sweet! I really liked the first one, even though the puzzles were kinda easy. The atmosphere was great and the music thoroughly creepy. And Grickle is just brilliant.

EDIT: Also, apparently Telltale is also bringing back King's Quest.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:51:15 pm by LASD »