Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about tamed exotics  (Read 766 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about tamed exotics
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

I've got a civ that worships a giant cave spider god, and of course there was only one thing to be done about that. I have managed to capture and tame a GCS, to which I intend to feed goblin prisoners. If they survive the eight z-level drop through the castle-fort into the shrine, they have been judged worthy as offerings, and the lever is pulled to release the avatar of the god. I just tested it and everything went according to plan, the goblin just about survived the drop and the spider wandered lazily over to give it the coup de grace.

However, my spider (which has never attacked a dwarf, please note) now has a name from killing the goblin.

I'm just checking, this is all right in 2010 isn't it? She's not going to suddenly snap two years later and go Hostile like GCS and cave crocs did in 40d? I can work with it either way but I'd rather she stays tame. :D
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Question about tamed exotics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:26 pm »

I think the bug in DF2010 where tamed cave crocs went weirdly semi-hostile after a few years has been fixed.  I haven't seen any sign of it, but I haven't tried capturing and taming any local cave crocs yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »

Guess I'll find out sooner or later then. :)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:37 am »

I would guess she is like a  wardog, gets a name by killing a sapient species
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:28:04 pm »

The semi-hostility bug from 40d was specific to "feature creatures" - wild animals that were present on the map (within an underground pool, underground river, magma pool, magma pipe, bottomless pit, or chasm) when you embarked. Creatures that migrate in from the map edge have always worked properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.