Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF races  (Read 2189 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Re: DF races
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

Making D&D creature files would be fine, for those who want them.  But please don't make this a part of the base game.

Personally, I think of my dwarves as Gloranthan dwarves.  Much richer and satisfying than the typical pulp fantasy fiction / D&D schlock.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by w:
<STRONG>Personally, I think of my dwarves as Gloranthan dwarves.</STRONG>

For those who aren't familiar, and might be interested, here (warning: PDF) is a link to "What the Foreman Told Me", intended as a brief in-character summary of dwarfhood in general.

Specifically, this relates to Iron Dwarves, who are the warrior caste, but there's stuff in there that's more general.

Brief excerpts:

quote:
Tell me what is important in my life.
Follow orders.  Work without mercy or fault.  Perfect yourself so that by eliminating impurities and factory-flaws within yourself you can become an iron diamondwarf.

Tell me what makes a dwarf great.
To follow orders without question, to perfect his skills, and to live forever in the greater glory of the Machine.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

quote:

Follow orders. Work without mercy or fault. Perfect yourself so that by eliminating impurities and factory-flaws within yourself you can become an iron diamondwarf.

To follow orders without question, to perfect his skills, and to live forever in the greater glory of the Machine.  

I don't think that the Dwarves from DF are this way.  They have thoughts and feelings and work better when they have the necessary provisions provided (ale, a good bed, a mate, etc).  Right now, the dwarves don't perfect themselves by eliminating flaws themselves.  The player is the one perfecting their work ethic by providing for their needs and wants.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG>

I don't think that the Dwarves from DF are this way.  They have thoughts and feelings</STRONG>

Sure.  Those are manufacturing flaws.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »

I feel that the whole universe(s) would be much richer if they had their own mythos, generally unconnected to your typical fantasy orcs-and-elves crap. The greatest fantasy in my opinion does it's own thing. For example George R.R. Martin, one of my favorite fantasy authors of all time, doesn't even *have* elves, dwarves, or any of that. There's humans, a couple of dragons (which are more or less extinct), and the "Others" which have a really small-time role for a long time in the series.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

This coming from the kobold patriarch...  but yeah, the idea is to take everything and allow it to be realized with more and more freedom.  The static elements are there to add features for the most part (such as fire breath).  Eventually more and more randomness will be added to the extent that it can be reasonably controlled, which should be to a great extent.  I haven't been ready to fiddle with it too much since everything is still changing, and a randomizer would just be another chunk of code to constantly maintain.  I'm getting closer to being ready for random vermin though.  Random vermin'll be good.  Gods and "forces" will likely start randomized, rather than static.  When it comes to the major creatures and items you meet all the time, it has to be handled more carefully though...  or it'll just be crap.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>This coming from the kobold patriarch...</STRONG>

Wow. Told.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »

I'm not sure if it's even relevant anymore, but as far as I can recall, in the Tolkien universe elves were entirely good, orcs were entirely corrupted, and humans and dwarves fell in between.  That's to say, if a good/evil scale were to be developed (which I'm not saying it necessarily should), and if it were to follow Tolkien's format (which I'm again not saying it necessarily should) these things might be taken into account.

[ November 08, 2006: Message edited by: John ]

Pod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 09:37:00 am »

Elves weren't entirely good. I don't think the kinslaying was an 'entirely good' event.
Pages: 1 2 [3]