Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF small and silly blueprint  (Read 2980 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: DF small and silly blueprint
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:17 am »

I've made combination watchtower+miasma generator before.  Basically, get a 3x3 piece of land, and build walls on the corners.  Above that, make a platform with windows on the sides, walls on the corners, an animal in the center, and a ceiling.  That's your watchtower.  Under this, you dig out a 3x3 room, with a channel in the center from the surface, which you then place a hatch over, and surround the hatch with fortifications so that building destroyers cannot reach it.  For this model, I made it reached from the underside, with stairs leading down into a "catacomb" style of tunnels linking the various towers together to a small access hatch in the main for.  This allowed rotting things to be loaded from within, and not have to get outside to get the purple haze flowing.  When the hatch was opened via a lever, miasma would pour out through it, flooding the surface around the small watchtower.

Sadly I couldn't properly utilize this, as I couldn't get things to rot reliably.  It is possible, though, to make stockpiles for things like prepared meals (think "Plump Helmet Seed Biscuit[2]" for this) and then to un-designate the stockpile, causing the food to rot shortly after as it's left on the ground.  This designating and un-designating of stockpiles can be streamlined via use of macros as well, and the opening and closing of the gas hatch can be rolled up into the same macro even.

This is the surface and lower level of the tower:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF small and silly blueprint
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

I think this:

You could put your only garbage dump in a diagonal tile at the base of the chimney, the miasma won't travel diagonal and will go up in the air. Add a underground refuse stockpile around the base of the chimney, with settings "Corpses" and "Body parts" and "Take from main refuse stockpile". Or something like that...

Is a good way to ensure that something does rot in there, after all you can make ritual sacrifice at your giant skull altar. Or you can have arena under chimney to have abundance of fresh bodies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]