Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible creatures?  (Read 2409 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invisible creatures?
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:18:09 pm »

So I started out a new adventure mode game, didn't do anything special. No mods, no editing of raws, nothing. I just made a swordsman, and was attacking a camp when I noticed odd creatures when I got the option to attack. Such as: Zombie Amphibian Woman, Zombie Drone Ant Man, Amethyst Devil, Three-eyed Brute, Skeletal Amphibian Woman, and more Amethyst Devils. I can't see them and I can't kill them, and they seem to be centered around any pools of water. I tried to kill one for a while, but I couldn't tell if I did any damage because I couldn't see it or select it. Is this some weird bug? Or is it a gathering of god-like invisible creatures trying to raise some epic death titan from a pool of water? And has this ever happened to anyone else? Responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible creatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »

So I started out a new adventure mode game, didn't do anything special. No mods, no editing of raws, nothing. I just made a swordsman, and was attacking a camp when I noticed odd creatures when I got the option to attack. Such as: Zombie Amphibian Woman, Zombie Drone Ant Man, Amethyst Devil, Three-eyed Brute, Skeletal Amphibian Woman, and more Amethyst Devils. I can't see them and I can't kill them, and they seem to be centered around any pools of water. I tried to kill one for a while, but I couldn't tell if I did any damage because I couldn't see it or select it. Is this some weird bug? Or is it a gathering of god-like invisible creatures trying to raise some epic death titan from a pool of water? And has this ever happened to anyone else? Responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think it's a glitch that ignores z-levels when you try to attack.  You're trying to hit stuff that's in the caverns deep below you.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:38:39 pm »

I could attack them and hit them, but I just couldn't see them.

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »

If you charge at them, you wind up in [REDACTED]. If you do wind up there, and don't die, head under a town, and sleep (I think.) or travel, and you'll be on the surface, as [REDACTED] should be similar to the caverns in that respect.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:00 am »

Same thing happened and when i attacked a giant rat that was underground I was teleported and ended up with broken legs.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:19:58 am »

I got in a fight with something below me once. Ended up down there with it when i charged it trying to bite it on a move-direction attack. :o

Was not ready for what happened at all. The third cavern is a terrifying place to be for a lone warrior. Unfortunately in the current version even if you drag your friends down there with you they will disappear when you sleep.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

I charged like you said, and got teleported to an underground building. And after killing a few hundred undead creatures,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:02:11 pm by Zigzom24 »

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:44 pm »

Well I survived that ordeal, but now I'm swimming underground with no way out, heading for a town hoping it will help me escape.. I got the sword though! 8)

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »

Nice! Do you have points as a swordsman racked up?

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »

Yep, I'm a swordsman. I survived and everything, but I can't find a route to a town. It's always blocked off! So I'm still trapped.

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »

Hell, you got out of that hellhole alive, you should be able to breeze back to civilization like nothing ever happened!

Or you could be doomed to wander the caverns for all eternity. Most likely the latter, now that I think about it.
Absconditus

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 04:08:13 pm »

Unless he can find a place where the caverns breach the surface, of course. If only he could retire for a bit, just long enough to breach a cavern in dwarf fortress mode...

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:17 pm »

The thing is I can't retire a bit, only give in to starvation! There is absolutely no way to the closest town, so I'm gonna have to explore a bit more, slaughter some shit, and be a dwarf. So far I have discovered adamantine 9 times. 9. I found a large roach, and have it as company. I'm still swimming 108 stories underground with a roach in my hand, wielding a masterwork adamantine scimitar, having killed 72 undeads and 2 demons.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:30:20 pm by Zigzom24 »

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »

The thing is I can't retire a bit, only give in to starvation! There is absolutely no way to the closest town, so I'm gonna have to explore a bit more, slaughter some shit, and be a dwarf. So far I have discovered adamantine 9 times. 9. I found a large roach, and have it as company. I'm still swimming 108 stories underground with a roach in my hand, wielding a masterwork adamantine scimitar, having killed 72 undeads and 2 demons.
Wow. Holy cow, that's awesome. If you manage to make it out alive (arms and legs optional) be sure to have somebody immortalize you in stone.

"This engraving relates to Zigzom's departure to the forgotten depths of the earth, where he found an [candy] scimitar, escaped from [the circus], and wondered the caverns of the deep for an untold period of time. Zigzom is holding up the scimitar in the foreground. Zigzom is running."