Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Themed fortresses!  (Read 1497 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Themed fortresses!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »

Not the best, but here:

Surface of Mercury Fort

1. Accidentally set the world's temperature range a tad too high.

2. Embark, and watch as your dwarfs burst into flame.

3. Repeat until you finally manage to get a few safely underground.

4. Survive.

This one isn't too challenging now, what with the ready access to food in the caverns. (So long as you have a pick and an axe, you'll be ok.) But the first time I did it, in 40d? Crazy. They only survived because I managed to get a pick, two barrels, and one plump helmet spawn in before the wagon exploded.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »

I'd fix the stone issues by embarking on a mountain and digging the mountain flat. That way you get your stone.

True, I can do it that way. I can also use a text editor to edit the world gen settings, set my available embark points to an insane amount and bring much of the stone required with me on embark, which is how I've attempted it in the past. This in turn allows embarking on a site with an aquifer, which both helps limit digging and provides a non-FPS-draining source of water (even if the stacks and stacks of stone lower FPS to begin with).
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

Enslave elfs in an underground fortress made entirely out of wood and keep them inside until they forget the light of day and start vomiting if somehow they manage to escape.

Sorry, but elves are not [CAVE_ADAPT].  This is the token that makes dwarves vomit in sunlight, and elves do not have it.  They can, though, with a simple stroke of the keys!

wierdoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

One of my favorite themes is to build a fortress completely in the 3rd cavern layer, inside of the huge pillars that you find. You can only go to the surface to trade, no above-ground farming/wood-cutting/plant gathering.

Seven dwarf hermit challenge.  Use burrows to isolate all starting seven dwarves from each other in their own mini-forts. 

Have them 'fight' over the immigrants and trade caravans to see who can lure and devour kill the most of their fellow dwarves.  Keep score.

Bonus points if you make cannibalism acceptable to the dwarf civ!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

You can!  [EAT_SAME_ENTITY:ACCEPTABLE] but be ready to pump out a lot of slabs, and be aware they'll eat their own "team" as well if given the chance.

Also be ready to laugh when you see ☼Dwarven Liver Roast[55]☼ (because dwarves have very large livers, duh).

wierdoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 03:54:30 pm »

You can!  [EAT_SAME_ENTITY:ACCEPTABLE] but be ready to pump out a lot of slabs, and be aware they'll eat their own "team" as well if given the chance.

Also be ready to laugh when you see ☼Dwarven Liver Roast[55]☼ (because dwarves have very large livers, duh).

Alright, I'm doing that immediately. FOR !!SCIENCE!!.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

Requires world regen, sadly.
Pages: 1 [2]