Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]  (Read 4953 times)

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:45 am »

Certainly keep the dragon to guard your 'vault' if you have such a chamber. You could make that the purpose of the temple. Have piles of gold and platinum artefacts etc, should be well chuffed with that.
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 03:26:57 am »

Nice idea, but that's more of a regular dragon thing.  Cave dragons are more akin to zombie dragons that anything else, if you think about it.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 04:13:22 am »

If I had a temple with a cave dragon in it, well, let's just say that I'd know what to do with my goblin prisoners...and random crap troglodytes and crundles that wander into my cage traps...and elves...and kittens.

I'd call it Mr. Scalesie and we'd be best friends forever.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:17 am »

You could follow in the footsteps of King Minos, and create a labyrinth underneath your Noble's dinning hall (glass floors for spectating) and keep the monster down there. Then, when in need to dispose a few unwanted Dorfs release them into the labyrinth to see if they survive, that is... if the dragon isn't tamed.
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 03:26:19 pm »

So, gentlemen, the question is: what do I do with her?

Whatever temple design you come up with, you should floor it with grates. On the Z level below the grates you should have thousands and  thousands of pieces of burning lignite, so that the entire temple level is constantly wreathed in flame and smoke. (Since the dragon is fireproof.)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »

get ready for the next update
eggs!
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:24 pm »

I SO want eggs!  That's all sorts of dastardly fun!  How about harvesting mermaid eggs?  Dragon Egg Roast[4]?  And of course, the weaponized egg-a-pult, you use your imagination on that one.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 06:06:37 pm »

I SO want eggs!  That's all sorts of dastardly fun!  How about harvesting mermaid eggs?  Dragon Egg Roast[4]?  And of course, the weaponized egg-a-pult, you use your imagination on that one.

Do...

Mermaids lay eggs?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »

[EGGS_TRUE]

They do now!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »

Toche.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »

So, gentlemen, the question is: what do I do with her?

Whatever temple design you come up with, you should floor it with grates. On the Z level below the grates you should have thousands and  thousands of pieces of burning lignite, so that the entire temple level is constantly wreathed in flame and smoke. (Since the dragon is fireproof.)

This. This is fantastic.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Masterspartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »

You could follow in the footsteps of King Minos, and create a labyrinth underneath your Noble's dinning hall (glass floors for spectating) and keep the monster down there. Then, when in need to dispose a few unwanted Dorfs release them into the labyrinth to see if they survive, that is... if the dragon isn't tamed.
These, You must do these. Bonus points if the noble runs every time he sees the dragon.
Somehow this thread went from making dwarves rip their bones straight from their bodies to the calming blood mist generated by dozens of babies hitting the ground at once.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:33 pm »

(Sorry for thread necro)

Yes. I can try that, but it will be hard and it will kill my computer.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 11:40:30 pm »

Two days isn't a necro, especially for an ongoing project.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »

Two days isn't a necro, especially for an ongoing project.

Was making sure. I had business in another city, so I wasn't home for the beginning of the weekend.

Now that I am back, progress will continue!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3]