Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do water wheels hold pressure?  (Read 668 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Do water wheels hold pressure?
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

I had this idea, one which would let me hook up hook up hundereds of water weels in a perpetual motion machine with very low amounts of flowing water, and therefore theoretically low amounts of lag.  The way it works is that if water "passes through" other water due to water pressure, then (theoretically) the water it "passes through" will count as "flowing".  The question though is whether or not the water weels will stop the water from flowing up through them, causing much Fun.

If they do, then can water wheels run off of water flowing above them, or to the side?  if so then I can run the water down a "pipe" made entirely of water wheels...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Do water wheels hold pressure?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »

The center tile of a water wheel blocks the flow of water.  The two side tiles are transparent to the flow of water.

Water wheels need to be located above flowing water to work.  DF can be very strange about when it decides water is flowing.  Quite frequently it will not agree with you on whether the water under the water wheels is flowing or not.  I'm not sure if the rules have been worked out.  I am fairly certain that your idea about water tagging other water as flowing when it teleports through does not work, however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »

Someone a while back made a post where they believed you could get a reservoir to have "permanent flow" (like an aquifer) if it was filled with a pump until it was 7/7 everywhere and it had no exits & wasn't allowed to evaporate.

I don't know if that's true or not (it might also have been from being water on the surface when there's a brook), but it might be something to test.

I do know that massive waterwheel setups often have power problems related to flow.  Good luck.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

If by power problems you mean CPU power, that's why I wanted to use water pressure.  The way water pressure works is that water gets "teleported" from one spot to another, so that means very little water is actually moving.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:12:40 pm »

I've found that if you allow a body of water to start flowing off the edge of the map (e.g. through a fortification drain) while being replenished by a river, it will acquire permanent flow, even if it's several Z-levels below the river. I've had this happen in 2 different fortresses so far, and it's allowed me to "turn off" all of my water reactors and still get 100% power out of them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:20:41 am »

If by power problems you mean CPU power, that's why I wanted to use water pressure.  The way water pressure works is that water gets "teleported" from one spot to another, so that means very little water is actually moving.
Pressure-teleportation does NOT turn water-wheels.  I found this out the hard way when trying to come up with a new water-reactor design that pumped water around in a loop.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:07 am »

The power problems I was talking about were problems related to not having enough flow for giant water-wheel contraptions.  In other words, having them stall under heavy load.

But yes, there are FPS problems too.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

So much for that idea then...

Although.....  If I remember correctly isn't any water in contact with a river considered flowing even if full?

Eh, it doesn't matter really...  I think I should start a new physics investigation thread though, I have so many ideas that are untested!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:49:16 am »

To build large power plants your fundamental task is to trick the game into keeping water flagged as "flowing" even when no water is moving anywhere.
My favorite method is to dig a channel in an aquifer, then pond a bucket of water into the channel from a z-level above. The bucket water will disappear into the aquifer and the channel will permanently flow thereafter.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.