Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions - named weapons & decorations  (Read 424 times)

rodgort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two questions - named weapons & decorations
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:13:52 pm »

My soldiers got decked out in steel pretty promptly, but it has taken forever to level up my armorsmithing and weaponsmithing skills, since I didn't get lucky with moods. While I was busily cranking out endless iron corkscrews, some of my soldiers got attached to their low-quality steel weapons and gave them names. Now that my smith can reliably make masterwork weapons, I'd really prefer to swap those in.

When I forced some guys to wear the new masterwork weapons and drop their old "artifacts", their happiness started to plummet abruptly. I didn't see any bad thoughts, but the cause/effect relationship seemed pretty clear. If I atomsmashed the old named weapons, would it fix the problem, or just drive the dwarves into suicidal despondency after a while?

If atomsmashing gear isn't a solution, does anybody have an idea that doesn't involve murdering the attached dwarves and training up some new soldiers? It's probably not the biggest deal in the world; they're pretty effective with their lower-quality weapons. But I'm a perfectionist. If they won't give up their fake "artifacts" peacefully, they may have dates with the lava pits.

In a slightly related question, my perfectionist instincts have led me to rip all the early furniture out of the whole fort and replace it with masterwork decorated pieces, now that I have suitable craftdwarves. The easy materials for decorating, of course, are green glass and bone, since I have both in essentially unlimited supply. Will there be a marked difference in value? I couldn't figure out the base value of bone from the wiki.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions - named weapons & decorations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »

The value of a bone is the value of the animal it comes from, same with leather, meat, tallow, etc.  So, a dog bone is worth 1, an elephant bone is worth like 5 or something.

It appears that you can un-assign their named weapons, but all bad thoughts (and good, for that matter, disappear after about a season.  So put them off-duty probably, let them rest in nice bedrooms where they can admire own bed all day, atom smash their noob gear, and profit.

Remember, if all else fails, scumsave!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

Also note, if you're the same perfectionist as me, you'll hate decorations.  It picks a random type, so, you can't have everything menacing with spikes.  You get plenty of banded with, hanging rings of, and art images along with the rest.  It's completely random, and getting a masterwork gold cabinet menacing with masterful spikes of steel, can become quite the headache!  I avoid decorations in general, and just add more furniture.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:52 pm »

Also of note: If you remove the weapon from their uniform, it appears to be forbidden by default, so named equipment will appear forbidden and won't be picked up again, even by the same dwarf re-equipping that uniform.