Advanced search  

Author Topic: burrows  (Read 754 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
burrows
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:02:33 am »

how do you use them practically?

just wondering, since i use them to replace the "dont go outside" stuff but its a bother really

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burrows
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:27 am »

When dwarves aren't restricted to burrows (through an alert listing a burrow as safe)

You can naturally add them to a burrow. This makes sure the dwarf will only go to places inside their burrow for regular tasks.

Sadly, if you want unique restrictions for each dwarf, you need to pave them each a burrow.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:13:30 am »

When dwarves aren't restricted to burrows (through an alert listing a burrow as safe)

say what? how?

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:44:43 am »

I make a burrow for each zone (outside, cavern levels, fort) and then I can restrict my dwarves to whichever combination of those I deem appropriate.  Like when a forgotten beast comes to the caves, I can tell my dwarves to stay in the fort burrow and the outside burrow.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:39 am »

I give all my masons/carpeners/etc a private bedroom, dining room, workshop room and stockpile room (raw materials,drinks and food) and restrict them to a burrow covering that :)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:19 am »

I don't.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:35:58 am »

Only to tell dorfs where not to go.
Finis sanctificat media.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »

Burrows are critical to effective use of Dwarven Military.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »

For civilians I portion the map into outdoors, fortress, and essential areas only.

For military I assign burrows as necessary and delete them afterwards. The only fort I've had (melee) military on never reached 20 dwarves, so mostly I've been using direct orders to make them do stuff.

Sometime I use burrows to force material usage, and those are deleted as soon as the job's done.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:55:54 am »

I've tried to use burrows but it always devolves into job cancellation spam.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »

I use them to keep a dwarf in the levers room for irrigation/magma/etc purposes, so I'm guaranteed prompt service. I also use them to make sure dwarfs do their damn jobs when I don't care to futz around in Therapist and just need some damn units of X with just a few button presses. I use them to make sure the hospital is staffed, since I like to build my hospitals near my food stocks. Medical tasks always seem to have the lowest priority over even making cat skull totems.

Last fort I used one to make sure my bowyer made only glumprong crossbows so that they'd do a bit more damage when used as melee weapons by comparison to less dense wood. It worked!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye