Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarf fell down the well and died  (Read 1424 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarf fell down the well and died
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »

Will the water supply be deadly now? or can they keep drinking around his body? Its a really big water supply I have stored and will take forever to drain :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarf fell down the well and died
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:02 pm »

Deadly, no, not that I'm aware of, but you may want his pick/armor/weapons back if applicable.  Otherwise, make a slab for him so he doesn't ghost.

BTW, always make a drainage system, you never know when this will happen.  An easy cheaty drainage is a floodgate on a repeater (like a /R lever) because floodgates destroy the fluid within them when they close.  Eventually, that -7 water per lever pull will completely drain the cistern.  Use multiple gates if needed.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »

Deadly, no, not that I'm aware of, but you may want his pick/armor/weapons back if applicable.  Otherwise, make a slab for him so he doesn't ghost.

BTW, always make a drainage system, you never know when this will happen.  An easy cheaty drainage is a floodgate on a repeater (like a /R lever) because floodgates destroy the fluid within them when they close.  Eventually, that -7 water per lever pull will completely drain the cistern.  Use multiple gates if needed.

Thanks, thats a good idea. I just dont know how to do that now. He was a marksdwarf with only a bismuth bronze crossbow and leather. Thanks

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »

the less cheaty way is to make a sewage system, with alternative dwarfpowered pumps leading water into lower stream of the water source, or into the cave lake.
you can also try the water repeater on wiki page, which automatically controls the water level in you cistern. be sure to build a lever controlled door in middle of that channel, for the purpose of water cutoff.
also an acess route sealed with wall instead of floodgate so under the tragic scene of tatrum spiral, you may safe your fort from flood caused by a dwarf smashing those critical floodgates.

edit: if you r in biome that does not freeze, you should try to build your meeting area into a swimming pool above ground, with 4/7 to 6/7 water. you dwarves gradually train swimming skill as they step in, and occasional exposure to sunshine prevents cavern adaption, too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:00:44 pm by Lamphare »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »

You can dig down to the cavern layer, and then breach the cistern, making it drain into the cavern.  Otherwise, you may want a pump stack.  Good news, if designed correctly, you can operate the pumps manually

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

I made the cavern system spawn deep so I have plenty of layers to play with, so that will take forever. Im gonna make a pump driven sewer to pump it either somewhere else or back to the river. The only problem is It will take a while to do. If his body rots or turns to bones, will they still bury him? I have a huge dwarf tomb with every dwarf in my fort has their own burial room already assigned.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »

Yep, skeletons are buriable.