Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Random Questions  (Read 680 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Two Random Questions
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:48:40 pm »

1.) How do I get more kids in the fort?

2.) How do I get more fey moods?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two Random Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »

1) You will get kids if there are married couples. Apart from settings in d_init, this should essentially be the relevant factors.

2) You will at most get one every 3 months, probably less often (not to be influenced by you as it is random). The only limits are that you need to have minded out enough stone (which is almost always true), otherwise there will be none.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »

1.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:26 pm »

1) You will get kids if there are married couples. Apart from settings in d_init, this should essentially be the relevant factors.
What settings in d_init?

1.)

2.)
That is less useful than you thought. Which is impressive, as there is no way you could think that that's useful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:01 pm »

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:X:Y]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Unless you've changed the BABY_CHILD_CAP, you shouldn't worry about hitting the cap on babies.  What you need is more married dwarves.  Give your dwarves lots of idle time in a very small meeting zone to become friends and eventually get married.  Once a couple is married, they should pop out a kid a year, even if you put them back to work full-time and don't let them idle anymore.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »

1) Beyond that you should make sure whomever has the baby isn't one that is gonna enter battle, as they have this habit of forgetting to drop off their kids before the attack (and babies, despite what you may believe, make poor armor).  Once they get to be kids they'll be slightly better.. You can also get kids in migrant waves sometimes.  But yes, as others have said, assuming you haven't altered the RAW file they'll have kids eventually, it may take a while though, you can see if they are getting into relationships and/or married by checking their descriptions (though I think it may have a window that comes up for marriage, I don't recall.. It definitely does for kids), they become friends, lovers, married, then start with the kids.

2) As for fey moods, aside what was said above I imagine the more dwarves with 'moodable' skills you have the more likely you are to get one, but I honestly do not know.  I've had some games where it seems like they come all the time, and some where it seems like they never do (though in one where I only got three two were armor (iron leggings and I think silver gloves) and one was a weapon (iron spear), so it worked out fine :)).

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »

No, the amount of moodable dwarfes should be irrelevant as long as there is at least one (and everyone who didn't have a mood before is moodable, even those with zero skill points in any moodable skill [I have no idea what skill it gets then]).

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:35 pm »

No xp in any moodable skill => random craftsdwarf (bone/wood/stone) mood.