Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Suggestion for Military  (Read 633 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Random Suggestion for Military
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:15 pm »

Danger room? Bah, never used it. There are simpler ways to train your military...and they ADD to your fort, not subtract!

Here's how:
1.) Have semi-skilled dwarves.
2.) Tell them to ditch their weapons.
3.) Have them attack some non-deadly critter.
I did this and had a legendary fighter and striker in two weeks, with just one camel! You may want to start with groundhogs, though.
4.) Once their levels in fighter, armor user, shield user, dodger, etc, are high enough, give them their weapons back.
5.) Go to step 3.
Optionally, skip to step 2 or 3.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Random Suggestion for Military
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:33 pm »

I'm sure PETA would enjoy watching a video of your dwarves spending several weeks beating up a camel. In fact, you should attach a transcript of the combat reports too for science.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:57:30 am »

I'm sure PETA would enjoy watching a video of your dwarves spending several weeks beating up a camel. In fact, you should attach a transcript of the combat reports too for science.
hahahaha, *cough* *smile*

I thought striker was relatively useless though if you're using weapons (I mean, who hits goblins with their hands?). And if you're training weapon skills on camels and groundhogs there won't be much skill gained before you run out of creatures.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:09 am »

ive been embarking with 1 dwarf who's got 5 lvls in a weapon and 5 lvls in teacher.
i make him the military leader and add semi-skilled migrants to his squad as they come in till i get about 5 or 6 of em and they SEEM to lvl up in whatever weapon the leader is good at pretty quick.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:04 pm »

When ever I tried that, it's always "Militia commander scratches camel in the lower body, bruising the fat. Camel kicks militia commander in the head fracturing the skull and tearing the brain, militia commander has been knocked unconscious, militia commander has been struck down"
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

When ever I tried that, it's always "Militia commander scratches camel in the lower body, bruising the fat. Camel kicks militia commander in the head fracturing the skull and tearing the brain, militia commander has been knocked unconscious, militia commander has been struck down"

It's "jamming the skull into the brain".  damn tantrum spirals made me memorize that armok-forsaken line...