Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Air Fortress?  (Read 1945 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Air Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:12 pm »

I think the top level of the sky still acts as a support if you really  want a floating fortress.

Somewhere right now, a physicist is crying.

You can nail objects to the top of the map, with cave-ins turned on. I tried this back in 40d by pumping magma and water to the highest z-level to form obsidian. The obsidian wall would float when I disconnected it from the ground, however it wouldn't provide support to blocks beside or below it. My game also kept crashing eventually at a specific time until I reconnected it to the ground.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 11:35:14 pm »

Oh man, someone test this for !!SCIENCE!!.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:27 am »

I think the top level of the sky still acts as a support if you really  want a floating fortress.

Somewhere right now, a physicist is crying.

On the second day, God created the firmament. Troll more.
This is to make me recognizable.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »

You can glue a obsidian wall to the top level of sky and then run a cable down from there, i remember a thread ages ago discussing the specifics, lemmie see if i can find it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65054.msg1529766#msg1529766

Apparently you can only support a floor over the very top level, but it was never tested with cast obsidian (I think?) it may make a difference.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:07:02 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:03 am »

If you glue an obsidian wall to the sky, can you build a support under it that supports your fortress?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:27 am »

the problem is that you can only seem to glue supports with floors under them or walls, but anything else you attach will fall down, so you can'ts really make rooms..
But if you could cast obsidian instead of the supports you could maybe dig rooms out?"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:21 am »

Just glue it to the borders, not the sky  ;)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34:48 am »

I never thought of that, however i'm running a small test fort to see if obsidian makes a difference, i think it might since natural walls have both a wall, floor and a ceiling but when you build them you don't get a ceiling... i think

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:30 pm »

I wonder if you can dig your way into heaven...
Pages: 1 [2]