Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My first bit of nightmare fuel...  (Read 2784 times)

Spork The Slightly Insane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McWrestler cancels attack: sent into orbit
    • View Profile
Re: My first bit of nightmare fuel...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »

And here I was hoping worried that the dwarf had gone into a fell mood and used the baby to construct an artifact.  Better luck next time?
 ;D

Yeah, fell moods are guaranteed Nightmare Fuel/Hilarity depending on how seriously you take the game. I still remember my first one - my bone carver didn't kill a baby, but he did get the Militia Commander's wife, and made an artifact dwarf bone gauntlet out of her (just one gauntlet, of course. Such a waste; you'd think he could at least make a pair of them out of that much material). The Commander himself wound up wearing it.. I'd like to think that he doesn't know where it came from. I hope he doesn't know where it came from.
Bionic Dorfmando

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:15 am »

...I still remember my first one - my bone carver didn't kill a baby, but he did get the Militia Commander's wife, and made an artifact dwarf bone gauntlet out of her (just one gauntlet, of course. Such a waste; you'd think he could at least make a pair of them out of that much material). The Commander himself wound up wearing it.. I'd like to think that he doesn't know where it came from. I hope he doesn't know where it came from.
Or maybe he had her teeth set on the inside of it, and he wears it as a cilice so that he is in constant pain that he uses to channel his feelings in his militia duties...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:57 am »

I've noticed that my dwarven babies are always content, with exactly 100 points of happiness at all times.

Well duh! They're kids!

Kids are dumb!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:57 am »

I've noticed that my dwarven babies are always content, with exactly 100 points of happiness at all times.

Their happiness goes up quite a bit if they get snatched. "Urist McBaby is happy to be free!"

Watch for it.
Never pet a burning dog.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:47:40 am »

Yeah, considering dwarven mothers use them as sheilds, and beat them to death when you get a failed mood...I'd say the babies are better off snatched.

I'd say snatchers are the child protective service agents of DF.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 07:50:52 am »

Well duh! They're kids!

Kids are dumb!

i tooked affence huur durr

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:05 am »

I had this happen once with similar results...

A metalsmith went crazy and took over a workshop and was asking for something I didn't have. I was newish to the game so I hadn't walled the metalsmith off. The metalsmith was carrying a baby at the time they went berserk... The combat log was filled with "Metalsmith tears/scratches/gouges/rips the baby's upper/lower/left/right lip/eyelid/ears/eyes.

I read the log and just O_O it was the first time I'd ever seen a combat log go in to that much detail and it was even more surprising that it was happening to a baby. Luckily a passing marksdorf put an end to it and shot the raging metalsmith in the head.

The baby then crawled around for a season while passing out, bleeding and vomiting everywhere before dying. I had a hospital but apparently babies don't use it. I have no idea where the father of the child was either!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:08:51 am »

DF: Leave your qualms at the door.  We'll atom smash them for you as a courtesy.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:33 am »

Does that thing when you Wall her "off" remembers me of a story  :P

Sometimes... you should read the wiki for posseded sentences , or you just didnt had the materials >.<
But fk you can't stop dwarves from finding out her death :< hope she didnt had friends
Desu

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:18 pm »

Does that thing when you Wall her "off" remembers me of a story  :P

Sometimes... you should read the wiki for posseded sentences , or you just didnt had the materials >.<
But fk you can't stop dwarves from finding out her death :< hope she didnt had friends

Oh she had friends. Half of the whole fort (about 60) dorf therapist however shows her friends dont care too much about it. The husbands happines dropped a fair bit but hes far from going bananas.

Oh and the kid who managed to get away died of dealkoholization.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 09:05:37 pm »

A mason, with child, managed to wall herself into a small space while I was coping with massive flooding issues.

Didn't realise until "Urist McStupid has died of thirst" flashed up.

Looked, and found the baby was alive, but thirsty and a little depressed, so I let them out.  Baby spent about half a year crawling to the well, and died of thirst about 10 steps from it.  And then the other dwarves didn't bother burying the dead baby for another few months.

You'd think having to step over the rotting corpse of an infant every time you go to have a glass of water would trigger something, but no, not really...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 09:26:21 pm »

I'm still waiting for my first macabre/fell mood to strike a depressed dwarf. I've always wanted to see that happen.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 09:28:19 pm »

It's not that impressive, really.  They just request bones and/or skull for the item.  Keep some dogs on hand to butcher when needed.
Pages: 1 [2]