Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concerning ponds and fish  (Read 1428 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning ponds and fish
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »

This...  Hmm, this demands !!Science!!

The problem is how to implement this.  If you have a meeting hall, then idle dwarves will go there and get scared needlessly.  If you don't, then guessing at where they'll go on break can be tough.  On the other hand, I may have solved my GCS Harvesting problem.  A chained spider in a statue garden, spitting webs at all the idle dwarves, training my medics and exploding my cloth industry!

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »

This...  Hmm, this demands !!Science!!

The problem is how to implement this.  If you have a meeting hall, then idle dwarves will go there and get scared needlessly.  If you don't, then guessing at where they'll go on break can be tough.  On the other hand, I may have solved my GCS Harvesting problem.  A chained spider in a statue garden, spitting webs at all the idle dwarves, training my medics and exploding my cloth industry!

Something like a 40d style GCS silk farm maybe? Chain the [critter of choice] up in its own little nook in the dining hall, then have raising bridges that will form walls around it when you don't need your dwarves spooked.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »

That's what I'm thinking.  You could put these in every meeting area and selectively spook your idle crappers while also farming silk.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:12:23 pm »

I love dwarven science.

"Stupid dwarves, always trying to take breaks or eat or spend time with their kids instead of working slavishly for me, The Man... Wait! I've got it, I'll make a law that all breaks must be taken in a break room where a giant voracious hellbeast is desperately trying to break a single thin tether that is all that stands between it and eating half my workforce!  That'll provide some light encouragement to get back to work!  WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 05:16:39 pm »

You say that like it's a bad thing, yet secretly, I know, and you know, that when I do this you'll be reading the results as soon as you can.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:31 pm »

Bad thing?  Not at all! I love hyping how absurd the actions I take are.

Still, I don't really watch the Fort Mode Forum as much as the Suggestions Forum.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

A relaxation pond full of tame sea serpents, on the other hand, is simply awesome, and hilarious to drop goblins into.
This is obviously a pond meant for the relaxation of the sea serpents. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »

Is your pond deep enough?  Dwarves start swimming at 4/7, and fish will air-drown at 3/7, so if your pond is shallow, then your fish are drowning.

Yeah, it's 6/7 (I filled it by bucket, and that's apparently as full as the dwarves are willing to fill it).

But, yeah -- whale ponds and shark tanks sound like a lot of fun right now. Maybe I'll mod in giant squid.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »

Funny, I was just thinking about squids, and how they need insanely high natural wrestling skills.
Pages: 1 [2]