Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screw pump knockback  (Read 1025 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screw pump knockback
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:03:30 pm »

Recently I've been using a screw pump to pump water from my local river into the fort. The first time I tried this it went off without a hitch; I managed to wet the floor just fine.

But the second time something odd happened. My pump operaters kept getting knocked back into the river. Is there any logical reason for this? The layout is pretty simple, a pump feeding from the river, output is a channel which feeds into the reservoir 1 z-level below. I find it odd.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw pump knockback
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:16 pm »

When you don't have any channeling for the water to go, it'll just flood out in front of the pump. Which means if you're using dwarf power and the dwarf if behind the torrent of water rushing out the front...

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:07:16 pm »

So the channel is being loaded too fast?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:13:28 pm »

Well I don't know what you have in front of the pump that takes water away, but if you're just pumping water in vast amounts in front of the dwarf that is pumping it, it will knock him around. Those pumps are extremely powerful.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:15:38 pm »

Well I don't know what you have in front of the pump that takes water away, but if you're just pumping water in vast amounts in front of the dwarf that is pumping it, it will knock him around. Those pumps are extremely powerful.

He said there was a channel though. Meaning it should be dropping into his tunnel.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »

Build walls around the output of the pump, so that the water has no place to go but down. 

Code: [Select]

W = wall
c = channel/empty space
Pp = pump,cap is output/impassible tile
. floor

WcW
WPW
.p.

What is happening is channel tile below the output fills up, then the pump spews water out on top of that tile on the same z level as itslef, causing the water to flow around to the other side of the pump, thus knocking your operators around.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:32:27 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.