Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An attempt at a DF techology.  (Read 495 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
An attempt at a DF techology.
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »

I know this topic has been already beaten to death, but I had a stroke of brillance that I wanted to share.

The system is insanely complex reletively simple. At the beginning of time, all civs start with very basic tools. As each grows, techology will improve current tools of civ's and, eventually, gain something new. The catch is that every Civ's tech is differen't from others. It depends on where and how powerful the civ is. A thriving, educated Civ will gain techology much faster than one that is in a terrible ecomonic situation, has poorly educated masses, and barely any food to go around. Something new is unlocked when A civ reaches a certain level will unlock something new to play around with. These include the discovery of Iron-working, Marble, paper, and gunpowder (Although a Crossbow would be better at first). The tech would go up to the Early-renaissance, but then the world would end. However, these discoveries of techs take a very, VERY long time. The discovery of gunpower takes place in around 3500, and it would actually good in around 3700!

Tech could be set to a static state, also.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: An attempt at a DF techology.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 01:57:04 am »

You've basically described Civilization styled progress, albeit with more abstract 'numbers'.  This is evident in you using terms like unlocks and 'reaching new levels'. It's not a workable position solely because DF civilizations aren't meant to 'progress' from Caveman to Nuclear Age.   As I've said the last dozen or so times this comes up, civ 'technology' is more stylistic color for "they live in these sorts of houses, use these sorts of weapons, do this for fun" than it is "oh these kobolds haven't even unlocked ceramics yet, what idiots".  Different styles, but not tiered 'levels' of culture.  Flow should be organic and not "ding, level up, time for hydroponics".