Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: again some random topic of discussion  (Read 471 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
again some random topic of discussion
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »

Aye,

Again some randomness...

1) My fort is fucking rot away. I see animals and people emitting miasma, sometime they get operated, sometime they just go rub some soap on themselves hoping it will pass.
What's happening? The doctors looks like they do not want to operate them...

2) I got a semimegabeast and a siege at the same time. But gobbos killed the giant (without losses, they just shoot it with machine guns crossbows) and now they're camping on my hill. There are also trolls, with designation. Yes I got a cook troll and a mason troll and some other stuff... Now seriosly... WTF!?!?!?!?!?! Are they trying to infiltrate my fort tricking me to believe that they are migrants?

3) I'm scared of goblin crossbows. Last time they killed two legendary fighter. What should I do? Start to think of some system to inondate the hills with magma?

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: again some random topic of discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

1 - Forgotten Beast visited your fortress recently?

2 - yes Trolls come with Goblin sieges. If they're just camping somewhere can they path to your fortress or have you sealed yourself in?

3 - Engage them at closer range or get better armour/layer more armour on your dwarves. Goblins have to come to you, you should be able to spring your military on them without too much time thinking about it.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:23:43 pm »

I'll start with the magma bit about 3 and just say yes, that is what you should do to solve your problems.

As for the others,
1)Assuming it's a syndrome, the first thing you should do is get your healthy dwarfs to a different part of the fort. Don't worry about food or anything else, just get them out of there. Then have the sick set up a quarantine area where they will be isolated. Beds/food/drink and a food delivery system that allows healthy dwarfs to stay away(A 10 z level drop or so should do it. Just don't let them near the miasma.). Any healthy dwarfs that start putting off miasma need to be dealt with asap so they don't infect others. Also, kill all of the animals. Healthy AND the sick. Purge them all and dump the meat, as any dwarf that eats it will probably get sick too. Don't open the doors until all dwarfs are dead or until those that are still alive have stayed down there for about a year to make sure they aren't sick.

2)It happens. If there is no way into your fort they won't try to come in. If you're really worried about it send all of the sick into the middle of them to spread the disease to the goblins and laugh for a few seasons as they rot into nothing.

3)Armor and shields help, quality obviously affecting how much they help. Magma is the only 100% to make sure the Goblin crossbowmen can't hurt your dwarfs.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »

A forgotten beast visited, but It tought that it was dispatched with no fuss. Probably I was wrong.

So basically I can solve problem 1 e 3 at the same time sending all the sick dorfes to deal with the goblins...

But the surgeons should be able to cure them or not? I observed that even when they operate a sick dwarf, the rot will eventually come again.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

Hm... shouldn't forgotten beast syndromes be random just as beast itself? So why it's always rot when someone reports to forum? Why there aren't any nonstop vomit till death from dehydration plague reports?
Using dfcleanmap on regular basis can somewhat prevent further disease spread.
And trolls have [can learn] tag? that causes them to sometimes be generated with random profession skills. If you give that to dogs for example those that arrive with migrants will too. But I really like your idea of fake migrants, hope it'll be implemented one day.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science