Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stacks of pumps - pumpstack?  (Read 2293 times)

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stacks of pumps - pumpstack?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »

The well would be useless as long there is some booze somewhere else. They will always use booze if possible, only using the well if no other option existing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

Metal mechanisms are found under the "trap components" menu at the forge; as such, they can only be made from silver, copper, [bismuth] bronze, iron, steel, or adamantine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »

Orly, metal mechanisms?  Do they use the Mechanic skill or Blacksmith?

If you want very fast booze delivery, then dig a tunnel all the way down to the intended booze stockpile, with no stairs or anything in the way, just a straight drop.  At the top, place a hatch, connected to a lever, and a 1x1 garbage zone atop that hatch.  Dump booze, let it gather on the garbage dump, pull the lever so it will fall, and then claim it at the bottom.  In fact, if you want to deploy troops down fast, you could abuse the "units that land on a creature aren't injured" bug to tie a puppy up and have your troops fall on it.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:20 pm »

If you are already considering cheesy things like making a bug-exploiting magma piston, why not just use Reveal from dfhack and find a spot that will let you dig straight down to magma without opening caverns?

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »

Why is the piston a "bug"¿ It simulates a somewhat realistic physics.
And I see a lot of differene between "download a cheating tool" and "dig out some hundred stones". It's not like pistons are something of zero work. And it really is up to the player what he prefers, ok¿

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 07:03:28 pm »

If you are already considering cheesy things like making a bug-exploiting magma piston, why not just use Reveal from dfhack and find a spot that will let you dig straight down to magma without opening caverns?

Whenever I drop the piston hundreds of meters underground, I always imagine the magma rushing up from the side of the piston as it shoots down into the earth like a huge obsidian freight train.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »

Why is splashing unrealistic?  When you drop something into fluid, it splashes...

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:01 am »

Except "splashing" and "piston" are just euphemisms created by the community for a buggy and unintended side-effect that causes fluids to teleport around when things are dropped into them.

By all means, do whatever you want. Your game, your fort, your choice. Personally, though, if I had to choose between spending precious RL time digging a giant pillar just to exploit a whacky bug versus explicitly cheating, I'd choose cheating because my time is valuable to me.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:21 pm »

It's not a bug, in fact what other way do you want fluids to behave¿ They are (in reality) essentially incompressible, thus if anything drops in them, they must go somewhere else, and if the best way is up, then it goes there (even in reality).
I have some heavy doubts that this is a bug at all, as it would be easier for toady to do just nothing and let it vanish. So it is at least partially intended and not that unrealistic at all (it coul be more realistic, but not much more for the piston part).
Pages: 1 [2]