Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fundry  (Read 1637 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fundry
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »

This isn't a dev suggestion really, but it pertains to DF.

As an alternative to straight PayPal donations, we should be able to fund DF via Fundry (http://fundry.com/).

That way we can pay for features that we want, instead of donating and not really getting features that we want. We should still keep the direct payment method, but this could be used to supplement it.

One problem that I forsee is that not that many people would use this, so there wouldn't be much monetary incentive to include the features.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
Re: Fundry
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »

This isn't a dev suggestion really, but it pertains to DF.

As an alternative to straight PayPal donations, we should be able to fund DF via Fundry (http://fundry.com/).

That way we can pay for features that we want, instead of donating and not really getting features that we want. We should still keep the direct payment method, but this could be used to supplement it.

One problem that I forsee is that not that many people would use this, so there wouldn't be much monetary incentive to include the features.

Too many cooks spoil the *-broth-*
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:58 pm »

Hey thanks for the link, that's an interesting way to further projects and help focus effort where the audience would most like it. Great idea, and I hope the fundry really takes off. I like the idea of pledged financial incentive to complete a feature, but that's a personal, psychological makeup.

I'm pretty sure that Toady wants to direct the development effort himself, and as such it would represent a conflict to him, and may even be perceived as a loss of control over the project. Why give up a financial stream to be replaced with a smattering of project requests that don't get finished? In case you hadn't noticed, there's a huge level of unfinished business in Dwarf Fortress, so the signed off Completed Feature thing isn't happening like it should in order to work well with the Fundry.

To get an idea of exactly what people would vote for, check out Eternal Suggestions
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:28:01 am by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:36 am »

There's also the problem of the gap in donations this would cause.  Yes, he'd get all those donations (and maybe then some) if he managed to finish some of those little projects, but he'd be forced to go without the income until he actually managed to complete some of these things... and many of the things people would put money into would probalby take years for Toady to get to.  Add together the donations over a year.  It's not the sort of income flow that builds up massive reserves in the bank account and enables you to go without taking in any income for a year or two.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:25 am »

I guess for Toady there isn't really any incentive is there? Since he develops DF for himself more than for others, and he gets more money right now from people (including me) throwing it at him and hoping the things they want get included.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:25 am »

Looks like an excellent system, but not something for Dwarf Fortress. Besides, like someone mentioned, Toady develops DF because he wants to develop Df, not for any monetary reasons.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:49:49 am »

I think we should let Toady do what he does best and the community should do what the community does best. And imo 99% of the ideas in the suggestion forum are either: terribly stupid/never going to happen (space dwarves,etc)/already planned by Toady.

EDIT: obviously, the 1% ''good idea's'' are all ideas of NW_Kohaku ^^
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:51:51 am by Dutchling »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

I would definitely be in favour of a feature sponsorship drive along the likes of what Rainseeker set up with animals, possibly based off the Eternal Suggestions Voting Thread, but the final say on what is and is not feasible belongs with the guys with the source code in front of them.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!