Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does .18 have more FPS issues?  (Read 4101 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Does .18 have more FPS issues?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:17 pm »

I think that the main reason they cause so much lag is because they path through walls of any thickness, and possibly up and down z-levels through rock, so it is like you have a bunch of flying creatures with 100+ z-levels of open space to create pathing options for.

I posted it today on mantis :D.

Probably it is only sometimes because ghosts are not pathfinding constantly.

AFAIK ghosts would create less work for the pathfinding function as they could fly in a straight line to their destinations. They don't have to explore tunnels like a dwarf would. The pathfinding function doesn't always try to plot several alternate routes to a simple destination.

I wonder if a ghost who originally died due to magma/atomsmashing would generate lag because it tries to path to its body, but fails since its body doesn't exist anymore, and then tries again. We could test that by comparing ghosts created from atomsmashing a migrant wave to ghosts from drowning a migrant wave.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »

Can somebody give me link to the thread which is about increasing fps with gameplay choices?  i cant fins it. thanks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:19 pm »

I wonder if a ghost who originally died due to magma/atomsmashing would generate lag because it tries to path to its body, but fails since its body doesn't exist anymore, and then tries again. We could test that by comparing ghosts created from atomsmashing a migrant wave to ghosts from drowning a migrant wave.
I've had a lagging ghost who died to wildlife.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »

I've seen a general decrease in lag since when I started DF. Especially when I started to mess with some of the settings and to wall off unused areas, and setting the DF setting to Realtime on your computer helps a WHOLE bunch.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »

Don't know any threads, off the top of my head.

These work for some, not for others, good luck.
1. Embark size smaller.
2. Change your cavern openness and paths to something like 65/100, 0/2, or don't breach at all.
3. Fill a trench outside your booze room 3/7 deep(pond/buckets), maybe use dfcleanmap in addition.
4. Cage animals.
5. Use the pathing restrictions(high, low, restricted)
6. Keep your hallways at least 2 if there will be any traffic.  Some suggested a 3 wide with a high traffic value in the center.
7. Reduce/stop Flowing water

It also helps to figure out if it is your graphics card, or your processor that causing the problem, because there are several graphics modes to chose from.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:02:51 pm by Schmlok »

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »

You can refer to this as well:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

And sorry for the double post :/
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:13 am »

Definite yes on ghosts causing lag (using 31.18). I had 100 dwarves running around and two ghosts causing mayor lag spikes that could last up to two seconds on occasion. I finally buried the two restless souls and everything runs perfectly smooth at 90fps!
It stayed that way until some giant decided to raid my fortress an kill all but one of my 100 dwarves and 20-30 animals. Last dwarf went insane, ofcourse, and decided to run away which is the sanest thing anyone ever did... My beautiful marble fortress covered in blood. Such a shame.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:42:03 am »

I actually got an improvement in FPS in recent updates.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:43:38 am »

31.18 behaves strange for me: It sometimes runs at 30FPS, sometimes even over 100FPS (45 year old large fortress, 60 dwarfs), but ne reason visible for this changes (ghosts are not to be seen in the unit list, and slabs for everything [even gobbos] were built in anticipation).
But on average, it seems to do better than 31.12.

D3matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:56 pm »

I had 2 ghosts wandering around and had little issue. Then again, the system specs probably explain it...

Windows Vista 32
NVidia GTS 250
AMD Phenom II 965
4GB GSkill DDR3-1600

Probably a bit higher than the average DF PC...
Pages: 1 [2]