Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A rather simple suggestion to get the economy to work  (Read 1523 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A rather simple suggestion to get the economy to work
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

The problem is that transactions would need to be done at the bank itself. Otherwise you're just using the pre-coin economy with a banker and a vault somewhere behind the screens. The alternative is to use stone tokens/clay tablets/paper checks that denote the transfer of credit from debtor to beneficiary... which would generate just as much clutter and even more "go to bank" jobs.

The way price formation will work needs to be taken into account to find the appropriate trade token. Revising the stacking rules so that virtual stacks (groups of similar items with different owners, stains, etc.) can be created and formed as necessary by the program will solve most problems I think.

The desired end result is that people carry purses that you can pickpocket or rob, I imagine?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »

we need hauling fixed  ???
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:10 am »

we need hauling fixed  ???

Its not hauling, its not how the dorf carry stuff, its how the game needs to store tiny items.  Thats the issue.

Also, Hauling improvements, better path finding are on the Dev list, though neither is explicitly stated for the Caravan arc short term schedule.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:39 pm »

could just assign a bag as a dwarfs "wallet" that is owned by the dwarf, this is then the calculated container for the money, and is were the owner tag is on, but the coins dont have the owner tag on, thus: a dorf can have its wealth calculated into his wallet and stack them in their.
and if banks were ever included, hede just open an account. as such, instead of calculating ownership and having stack problems, it calculates hauling jobs to put x number of coin value in a place to the dwarf that owns the wallet or bank account.

so: a dwarf picks up a leather bag that is turned into a "wallet", he has 500 fort credit. and will fill his little bag with the coins up to that amount.
when he buys something, he trades over x amount of the coins dictated by the fort credit amount hes paying from his wallet and from his wallet only, and gets change etc.
so the game calculates the credit and the coins are just a go between. in a barter economy a dorf could essentialy use his appraiser skills to trade items other than coins for other items, so you could have an economy based on socks. :)
when the dwarf is paid, he will just get a job to put coins in his wallet container.
since this places the ownership tag on the wallet and not the coins, they can float around freely and stack with each other.
think it would work?

p.s. sorry for my spelling, grammer and punctuation, too many blows from the hammerer to the head does that to you.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »

could just assign a bag as a dwarfs "wallet" that is owned by the dwarf, this is then the calculated container for the money, and is were the owner tag is on, but the coins dont have the owner tag on, thus: a dorf can have its wealth calculated into his wallet and stack them in their.
and if banks were ever included, hede just open an account. as such, instead of calculating ownership and having stack problems, it calculates hauling jobs to put x number of coin value in a place to the dwarf that owns the wallet or bank account.

so: a dwarf picks up a leather bag that is turned into a "wallet", he has 500 fort credit. and will fill his little bag with the coins up to that amount.
when he buys something, he trades over x amount of the coins dictated by the fort credit amount hes paying from his wallet and from his wallet only, and gets change etc.
so the game calculates the credit and the coins are just a go between. in a barter economy a dorf could essentialy use his appraiser skills to trade items other than coins for other items, so you could have an economy based on socks. :)
when the dwarf is paid, he will just get a job to put coins in his wallet container.
since this places the ownership tag on the wallet and not the coins, they can float around freely and stack with each other.
think it would work?

p.s. sorry for my spelling, grammer and punctuation, too many blows from the hammerer to the head does that to you.

You could call them coin or money purses.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »

The problem is that transactions would need to be done at the bank itself. Otherwise you're just using the pre-coin economy with a banker and a vault somewhere behind the screens. The alternative is to use stone tokens/clay tablets/paper checks that denote the transfer of credit from debtor to beneficiary... which would generate just as much clutter and even more "go to bank" jobs.

There's no reason to use any physical currency or token for trade within the fortress. As the old economy system showed, it's possible to abstract that away, and it's also fairly complicated to build a working economy even without the added problem of having to shuffle coins around for every transaction.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:00 pm »

There's no reason to use any physical currency or token for trade within the fortress. As the old economy system showed, it's possible to abstract that away, and it's also fairly complicated to build a working economy even without the added problem of having to shuffle coins around for every transaction.
As I said, for story/game purposes it might be a goal to have people carrying around purses with coins or other valuables so the player or other crooks gets the opportunity to pickpocket people.

I do agree though that virtual credit is a better way to go for intra-settlement transactions: it fits the time period/development level (subsistence farming), geography (isolated outposts) and the size of the settlement (everyone knows everyone) better. Coins or other valuables can be reserved for trade with the outside, offical payments, soldier salaries, ransoms, etc.

So most people would rely on their group memberships to acquire their means of living. Even the few valuables that did circulate would be preferred in the form of jewelry: that way you could carry it with you and if you didn't need it, it was still useful.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2]