Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PoliceRoguelike  (Read 4737 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoliceRoguelike
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:30 am »

But Rogue cop would mean you don't do cop things... like... Arresting people

No, it means you would, but with excessive violence and bad language.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »

First of all, thank guys for your input... especially the comments on tactical combat and content were very helpful!

To sum up:
  • I definitely do not want that other people do my homework(design) ;) but a couple of people together are smarter than one guy
  • Concerning Android: I am only targeting tablet PCs (Android 3.0+) - not smartphones, so the comparison of the port of Nethack is not feasible here...anyways I'll plan to have at least a rudimentary PC-based UI, since developing for this platform is more productive
  • I definitely wanna develop my own game and not adapt its scope so that it fits for an existing game/codeline. I know it's a huge task but I consider this as somehow a 'lifetime' project not a project, finished in 1-2 years

@Sensei: I like your proposal ("Rogue Cop")  :)...since English is not my mother language: Is an FBI agent also called a cop in the U.S? I do not want to limit the scope to non-FBI content in the longterm.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 02:55:02 pm »

Probably... it's debatable, but I doubt anyone will complain if there are FBI agents in a game with 'cop' in the title.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 05:53:37 pm »

But Rogue cop would mean you don't do cop things... like... Arresting people

No, it means you would, but with excessive violence and bad language.
That's it! You don't play as a realistic police officer, but as a loose cannon rookie who doesn't play by the rules! And Crispin Glover would be following you around giving you tips and slapping you in the back of the head.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

Instead of punishing you for using excessive force, it could simply not reward you for it.  Like, you ONLY get xp/rank for the criminals you bring back alive (unless the situation calls for lethal force).  Shoot a thug who was giving you lip?  It might be satisfying but it won't help or hurt you any.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Katal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »

Probably... it's debatable, but I doubt anyone will complain if there are FBI agents in a game with 'cop' in the title.

I don't think I've ever heard an FBI agent called a 'cop'. Most commonly referred to as a 'fed', probably... or a G-man if you wanna get old school. :D

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:22 am »

I think, I keep the working title ("PoliceRoguelike") for the time being.

No chance, I do not intend to create another hack&slash game, so this will be a 'realistic' RL.

In the meantime I made a complete chance concerning the OS/language: The Android Tablet emulator is 'dog slow' ...I'll abandon the tablet stuff completely for the time being and have moved to C#...this language is in my point of view just more productive than java and there's also a nice roguelike library (libtcod) available.

The first thing, I'll wanna prototype with, is a first version of a procedural engine to create a urban sector, similar like that one, described in http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/2010/12/coding-district-map-generation.html.

If you have other/better ideas or resources on the net, let them coming....
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:20:14 am »

I didn't Read the whole Thread, but here's my ideas :

1. Suspects/Criminals/whatever cannot be shot unless they Point their gun at you, a Civilian, or if the Bullets start flying out of their gun, to do this, add in a Action "Pointing the Gun", put it in Red letters and give it a 1-2 second before it can be deleted, this way, people don't get killed because they accidentally deleted a Notifier that a Suspect/criminal has pointed his gun

2. In order to Arrest suspects/Criminals, you would have to first get their hands up by subduing them, which could be done by Non-lethal means, such as Pepper spray, Flashbangs, CS gas grenades, Taser, Etc, if all that shit fails, a Bullet could work, add in some sort of Hidden Bar for all Suspects/criminal, if this bar hits 0, the Criminals put their hands up, I suppose you could give each Suspect/Criminal a different bar, for more variety

3. Criminals Drop their guns upon Being subdued, if the guns are not taken and the Suspect not quickly arrested, said Suspect would grab their gun, regaining Half of their Hidden "Subdue" bar and their gun

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:20 am »

I suggest the person making this start playing the many Police point and clicks.

There are several interesting rules for cops for example a cop may never drop or discard their gun. It also focuses heavily in marking evidence and the ALMIGHTY importance of calling for backup (Over half the deaths in these games are just not calling for backup)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:32 am »

I second playing police point and click games, notably the Police Quest series. The first three required you to know several key regulations as it was a project between Sierra games and legendary Police Officer Jim Walls and the fourth was designed by the controversial LA Police Chief Daryl Gates. SWAT games were a spin-off and while fun, they don't do much to curb you to regulations. All can be found on GOG.com if I am not mistaken.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 06:55:40 am »

Does anybody know a roguelike (ASCII, no tiles!), which has a urban setting (houses, streets etc.)? I'm currently designing the first map UI of an urban district...I have some ideas but looking at existing stuff is always helpful

-Tom Clancy
Pages: 1 [2]