Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cotton Candy Do's and Don't's *possible spoilers*  (Read 2474 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Candy Do's and Don't's *possible spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 07:01:43 pm »

Has anyone mentioned that adamantine strands are and tend to be used by your suturers for medical purposes? Keep them locked away.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »

I wouldn't use strands anyways.  Adamantine cloaks, hoods, and stuff will degrade same as cloth, waste of good blue stuff.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 07:11:55 pm »

Yeah, cyanide cloth's only use could be for artifacts demanding such... besides, caravans provide so much cloth and cheaper leather that you can have all the cloaks you need. It was six per military dwarf, as far as I know, and as many hoods, for paranoid arm and head coverage... and making those out of cyanide doesn't help anyway. Aside from showing you're filthy rich, but then nobody lives to tell the tale anyway.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 07:23:11 pm »

15 ideally: 6 hoods, 6 capes, 1 mittens, 2 trousers, not counting socks, because dwarves tend to wear 2 socks on one foot and one boot on the other.  With a good farmer, that means 3 or fewer stacks of pig tail/rope weed per soldier.  Given 30,000 steps needed to grow a pig tail seed to maturity, or 25 days.  With 28 days per month, and 6 months of spring + summer, that's 7 growth cycles possible per year.  What this means, is that on a 1x1 plot of farm, you can get 35+ pig tails in one year with a good farmer, enough for 2 soldiers fully outfitted with cloth addons and a bit left over.

TL;DR
4-5 squares of farmland is enough to re-equip a squad of 10 soldiers with cloth extras every single year, assuming good farming skill.  Bonus points if using potash.

All your civilians should be decked out too, since they DO get new clothes when they can (as proven by my civilians wearing trog leather loincloths) and you should easily be able to mass produce cloth crap.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07:59 pm »

That's okay, I generally overdo it and dig out a 10x10 room near a murky pool, then breach it to muddy the whole room up. Not all of it is used for plump helmets...

of course, seeing as full bins of cheap leather tend to cost less than 100 dorfbucks and there are many in caravans, I buy those even for the bins themselves, and the contents can be used for such things

Two craftsdwarves' workshops are enough to produce enough rock crafts to buy everything I want from a caravan, making more I could buy everything in general from one, and use piles and piles of mechanisms if I am desperate

A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »

Leather is better than cloth, and is preferred, but the soft protection is slight anyways, and the difference between cloth and leather is probably so slight as to be dismissed.
Pages: 1 [2]