Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mac version  (Read 740 times)

Geotropisme

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mac version
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:18 am »

Hello,

first you should know that english is not my native language, so i apologize for the mistakes/misspellings i am going to make.

I am really new to Dwarf Fortress (discovered it last wednesday) and am currently playing the 28_181_40d version so that i can do TinyPirate's play-along (The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress).
I know that a lot of things have changed since this version, and now that i'm familiar with the bases of the game i'd like to play the current version, but that brings us to my problem: all the newest downloadable "mac-versions" of the game are ".exe" files.
The website is currently unreachable so i can't make sure, but i believe this is the case for all the 31.xx download links.
What am i supposed to do with a ".exe" file on mac OS? Am i following the wrong link?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading and again, i'm sorry for my english which is far from perfect.
Have a good, dwarfy day.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: Mac version
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:54 am »

Yes, the Mac version they have on the site at present does have an .exe file. But right above that there should be a UNIX executable file just called "df" that you can double-click for the game to launch.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:30 am »

Frankly, I play on a mac and I find it easier just to use Wine and a given Windows version. I tend to get slightly better FPS, too.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:13:19 pm »

Frankly, I play on a mac and I find it easier just to use Wine and a given Windows version. I tend to get slightly better FPS, too.

I use Crossover for Mac, myself, which is WINE-based, and it works much better than the Mac version. The Mac version crashed all the time for me. Crossover isn't free, though. WINE is!

Have Fun, in any case.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:09:58 am »

If clicking on the DF unix thing, doesn't work, then you want to control click on the DF, and then go to Open With, and go into the Application Folder, then into Utility, then the Terminal. And open the DF with the Terminal.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:20:26 am »

It runs far better in bootcamp :(.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]