Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How not to provide water to your hospital  (Read 3756 times)

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
How not to provide water to your hospital
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:59 pm »

I like to build wells in my hospitals so the doctors don't have to go too far to get water. At first, what I did was build a cistern underneath the hospital and tap it into a river (or other water source), using a floodgate linked to a lever to cut off the cistern from the water source before it flooded (I don't use the diagonal baffles in this case, because they slow down the flow too much and I want the cistern to fill quickly). The problem with this set up is, when they use up all the water in the cistern, you have to pull the lever to let it back in, then pull the lever to close it back off. Too much supervision required.

So, what I did this time was put a pressure plate in the cistern linked to a bridge that, when raised, would block off the cistern. I set the pressure plate to be activated only by 7/7 water. When I first tapped into the river, the cistern filled with some slight (but inconsequential) flooding in the hospital before the bridge raised.

So far, so good. The problem came when the water level dropped enough for the bridge to drop. It quickly refilled, and then...

...well, you know how if you pull and re-pull a lever to quickly, how one of the signals gets missed by the engine? Yeah, well, that happens with pressure plates too. The bridge never raised again.

Three drowned dwarves later, I remembered that I had an emergency floodgate between the river and the cistern, in case of such a mechanical failure.

Next time, I'm gonna set the pressure plate to lower the bridge at 4/7, and raise it at 6/7. Learn from my mistakes, folks!
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How not to provide water to your hospital
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »

Or build your cistern deeper, if there's 2 levels and it's set to plate at 7/7, it should trigger before the second layer fills.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:31 pm »

Better still, site the actual well at the same level as the water source. If that means your medics have to carry the victims of a mining accident up a few flights of stairs, so be it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »

You probably still want it to (re)fill at 4/7, even with it being more than one z-level deep. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 12:33:16 am »

Make an overflow tunnel at the lowest level of your fortress that leads to the edge of the map, and then carve fortifications on the map edge. Water will drain off.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:22 am »

flood your hospital!

but seriously, you could build a trench right below you hospital level, and assign pond to fill it. as it's full, change zone to water source, so your dwarf should happily use it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:55:17 am »

The problem is that dwarves invariably attempt to draw water from the well, in order to fill the pond zone under it, and this isn't quite as hilarious as it seems.  Even assigning a water source zone seems to have unreliable results.  Plus it's not always possible.  Once you get larger than a 5x5 area to be filled, the water starts to evaporate faster than dwarves put it in, unless you go overboard with some 30 dwarves assigned to pond duty, but if you have that much spare labor you have other concerns really.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:11:26 am »

My general solution for these kinds of scenarios, and basically any scenario involving water pressure, is the diagonal pressure reset:
Code: [Select]
#####
WWW##
###V#
#####

Legend:
# - wall
W - pressurized water, treat with caution!
V - pressure-reset water, this water will not flow upward from here

This way, water will 'leak' through the diagonal and into your well, which stays full permanently as long as the pressurized water next to it remains, but will make it impossible for water to flow upward from your well since the water below it is unpressurized.  I think this is an intended game mechanic so I don't see it as cheese, but that part comes down to personal preference.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:28 am »

Yeah, I know. But it takes forever for it to fill that way. I want instant results. So what if a few dozen dwarves drown? This is Vesselbone, not some elf commune.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:28 am »

Yeah, I know. But it takes forever for it to fill that way. I want instant results. So what if a few dozen dwarves drown? This is Vesselbone, not some elf commune.

So dig a regular water tunnel that allows full flow, and put the floodgate in a corner.  Whenever you need the cistern to fill quickly, open the gate, when you want the pressure regulation, close it again.

Code: [Select]
####
  X#
## #
 # #
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:45 am »

I just keep my reservoir fully sealed and pressurized, but build + shaped walls (with no wall in the center of the +) beneath every well shaft on any level where water can get beneath the well shaft from the side.  That prevents water pressure from letting water come up, out of the well, while allowing my cisterns to be continually fed from the river or brook.  Yes, there is a shutoff floodgate, but I don't actually use it.  It's also not something you can easily tap into again, without shutting it off and draining it (something you have to plan for ahead of time), but I generally make just two wells:  one in the hospital, and a meeting area well to admire, so it's not really a problem to design all that ahead of time.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.