Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about history.  (Read 882 times)

Murmur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about history.
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:30 pm »

Hi there. New player here, I was wondering what the effects of the history options are when you generate a world. I'm not talking about the advanced parameter world gen or whatever you call it. Just the basic one. I went into the advanced one out of curiosity one time and my mind proceeded to blow.

Anyways under history you have Very Short through Very Long, and I get that it makes less or more time pass, but I'm just wondering what the effects of time are on your game.

BONUS QUESTION:

Is the latest version of the game the one most long time players use in adventure mode? I understand some older versions have more stuff in adventure mode, but is it anything worth giving up newer features over? And if so which older version is recommended?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about history.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »

Can't immediately answer the first bit, without checking things, but perhaps by bringing this topic to the first page of unread posts  again might let someone else get in there with an answer...

BONUS QUESTION:

Is the latest version of the game the one most long time players use in adventure mode? I understand some older versions have more stuff in adventure mode, but is it anything worth giving up newer features over? And if so which older version is recommended?
I'm not a great Adventurer (I'd like to do more, but I get distracted) but the recent .31.x versions have vastly more to do than the earlier ones, and of course 40d.  Adventure Mode is still lagging behind Fortress Mode as far as features, being that you can probably end up killing the entire world, if you go at it with a vengeance, and then run out of things to do because there's nobody around to give you a purposeful adventure (or possibly just kill everyone who could be purposefully adventured against, plus collateral), but the devlog speaks of many things that might make even .18s sprawl-filled possibility for adventures even more varied.  Not the least that instead of being able to classify every entity as either part of the "to be killed population" or of "not to be killed population" or plus wildlife and assorted wild dangers, it may be that more fluid allegiences could occur (becoming a hostile to the locals in your own right, maybe even getting a Do Not Kill On Sight rep from the bandits).

So I'd say that:
  • The newer features (bugs aside, and if there are any severe ones for Adventure Mode that are absolute killers, I'm not personally aware of them), the newest or near-newest versions with the newest features would be better for AM than if you stuck with slightly older versions, and are far more involved than 40d versions
  • It's likely (from my incomplete reading of the situation) that the most immediate versions yet to come might in turn be attractive enough to transfer to when they come to be...  At least to have a look at.

Murmur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:12 pm »

Wow thanks. That completely answers that part. Looks like I'll be sticking to the newer version then. Now if I could just figure this history thing out I'll be all set to start playing seriously.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:55 am »

A long history means more night creatures and other monsters. But it often also means less surviving civilizations.