Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McSoldier has succumbed to infection!  (Read 1296 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Urist McSoldier has succumbed to infection!
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:16 am »

wtf?  I've got soldiers sitting at the opening of my base, just loitering because they're very high level and are there in case of any ambush and/or monkeys.  Ambushing monkeys even.  Then, two of them die of infection.  I have a hospital, three doctors, and a fair bit of stock for the hospital, yet there my men go standing around with infections and dying.  Not to mention that I'd not been aware of the infection to begin with, they were never injured or anything.  To much Goblin Lung Roast maybe?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McSoldier has succumbed to infection!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:47 am »

If you're sure they were never injured and therefore couldn't have had infected wounds, the only other thing i can think of is that they died to some (forgotten beast) syndrome, as that can give the xyz succumbed to infection message, too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:31 am »

No FB yet, just breached the first cavern because I need an outlet for my sewer.  They were in a danger room for about two months...  Of course with a name like "danger room" I shouldn't be surprised by deaths.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:54:14 am »

err... did you designate the hospital zone?
Desu

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:06 am »

Yes, and have had other people report to the hospital on whims.  Some get shot by stray goblin bolts, and others watch as someone gets hit by a stray bolt, and they both go to the hospital.  Military dwarves seem to either ignore injuries, or whine and stop their patrols because they got a bruise.  Not to mention that half the time any dwarf will just go back to work.  I lost one or two because he had broken fingers, and the doctor was preparing surgery before he just left, and then died of infection.

Healthcare is stupid -.-

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:17 am »

umm deactivate the squad , AKA return them to civilian statuz
Desu

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:35 am »

The last time I had unexplained sudden deaths, it was due to fire imp goo. Maybe check their equipment for any weird coatings. I don't know what kind of place you've set up in, but maybe a local critter has poison blood or some other weird stuff.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:37 am »

They probably just got a nail smashed, and since nails have no heal rate they never heal (and always become infected). You can change the healing rate of various tissues in the tissue_template_default.txt. Hospitals seem to do little against infection from my experience, I had soldiers treated fast, cleaned with soap, sutured etc in a mere month and their wounds would still get infected.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »

I've had a dwarf walking around with a broken floating rib and liver for a couple years now.  He never complains and hasn't checked into the hospital because it doesn't exist.  Admittedly, it was caused by a ghost battering him, therefore his innards were never exposed to the air.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »

Can I mod these templates using an already existing world, or do I need to regen?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:40 am »

I've had solders in deactivated squads try to do their old jobs without staying in the hospital. They were in for one injury and not 4 others so now it's infection city.

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »

Yeah, I have that too. Sometimes my wounded dwarves dont consider them sick and run off after a bit of suturing or bone setting. They have wounds, they get infected, nobody notices, they die in duty. I usually see a yellow flashing tile if they are infected, but they dont really care. I dunno if I should feel honored for such a sense of duty.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »

Check any solider that has been in the danger room and I assume they'll have damaged red parts on their status wound screen. This means they are broken beyond repair and are bleeding/open to infection. Most commonly the items listed in red are: anything of the face, upper arms. Any red part means you failed to gear your dwarf properly and the constant spear poking did some serious damage over time.

Helm - Protects head/skull
Cape - Protects face/ears/eyes/lips/etc
Chain Mail Shirt - Protects Upper body INCLUDING upper arms
Breastplate - Protects Upper body but NOT upper arms
Gauntlets - Protects hands/fingers/etc
Greaves - Protects legs
High Boots - Protects feet.

If you make a dwarf wear all of these with replace clothing. They can train to legendary status in weapons, fighter, dodger, armour user, shield user, etc in about 10 mins. That is if you micromanage what they hold. Just weapon > just shield > nothing, will allow them to get legendary weapon, shield, dodge. Do it in any other order and dodge will level too fast and prevent your dwarves from parrying with the weapon.

The dwarf will be perfectly healthy, every body part in white. I've done this with 20 dwarves so far. Only seem them kill a single goblin and they ripped it apart in about 1 frame. Legendary <Weapon>/Dodger/Fighter/Shield User/Armor User dwarves are scary things.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:50:41 pm by Dwarfotaur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:53:50 am »

I don't bother much with weapon training, they get plenty of that from live action and captured prisoners.  A bit of time in the danger room quickly trains up their shield user and fighter stats, and armor user at a somewhat slower rate.  This, including their rising agility, means that they can wear full plate armor and outrun a naked goblin, which is simply fantastic.