Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Panic room. Oh, man.  (Read 1334 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Panic room. Oh, man.
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »

I finished my danger room, drafted a few dwarves, and stationed them in there. I pulled the lever a few times, and everyone survived. For a few moments. Shortly afterwards, half of them died. Half! The rest had several red injuries. Unless I have this completely messed up, red means broken. I can't imagine the rest surviving much more. The ones that died however, due to their "long" and "valiant" service, were given proper tombs. But the question stands, how are these supposed to help?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Panic room. Oh, man.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

If the dwarves have a lot of armour on, including cloaks, then they train themselves in using their armour, shields and dodging wooden spears rising from the ground.

If they don't, then... dwarf colanders.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:56 pm »

Did you use ten metal spikes per trap on dwarves with no armor?  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

Using dwarves with no armor is enough to produce dwarf colanders, even if the spikes are wooden. Heck, wooden spikes are what shouldn't be used - wooden training spears are a must.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:42:27 pm »

But the question stands, how are these supposed to help?

Well, I enjoy a challenge, so I'll try to answer that. Let's see, now you have..
-Fewer useless migrants to feed.
-Patients for your doctors to practice their skills upon.
-Any that survive the doctors will have (some) slightly increased combat skill.
-Also, in a truly Darwinian process, any that survive both the danger room and the doctors (and, perhaps, repeated trips to the danger room) must be supernaturally capable dwarves. You're selectively weeding your military down to the very best - or the luckiest, that works too!

So it wasn't a failure per se, you just succeeded in unexpected ways.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:47:42 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:02 pm »

But the question stands, how are these supposed to help?
-Also, in a truly Darwinian process, any that survive both the danger room and the doctors (and, perhaps, repeated trips to the danger room) must be supernaturally capable dwarves. You're selectively weeding your military down to the very best - or the luckiest, that works too!

Time to start selectively allowing dwarves into my fort based on danger room survival.

Oh, and I may have neglected to mention that I forgot to armor my dwarves chose (Why do I feel like I misspelled 'chose'? Did I?) not to give them armor for purposes of natural selection.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »

I like your attitude.

Personally, I'll put a danger room inside my kiloproject - a 13x13 tower around the only 3x3 staircase into the depths of my fort, spanning several z-levels up, with drawbridges in every direction. The topmost tower level will be lined with repeating training spears, and the only thing above that will be a 7 levels tall microcline pyramid. Seeing as no civilian will ever have a reason to move things up, then it'll work... with no fun. Sucks.

A Kea has stolen a coke!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:30 pm »

...Were you using menacing spikes?

...Were they wooden?

...Were they no-quality?

...Were you using the latest version?

If any of these is NO, then you dun goof'd.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »

If he was using menacing spikes, then he really dun goof'd.

Training spears
and seeing as they're blunt, then making them of some light wood like cedar, alder or featherwood would help too
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 11:44:49 pm »

A) Armor
B) Training spears.  It doesn't matter much what kind because of the armor and training aspect.  Really, wood is obscenely light compared to metal, so even blunt wood weapons are pathetic.
c) 10 wooden spears in a repeating spike trap, just one.  If you utilize two doors, as I'll show you, you can get legendary soldiers in a matter of moments, with guaranteed super-soldiers within two seasons.  Yes, it's that much of an exploit, 10 spears on repeat like that will train up all skills very fast, and all stats like "super-dwarvenly tough".

Failure to armor your men results in Fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:21:02 am »

Sadistically awesome.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:58:19 am »

I think you just won the game. Congratulations :)

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:53 am »

Its been said before, but gosh darn it I'll say it again

Dwarf Fortress : The only place where Mandatory Eugenics is socially acceptable
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »

This is the second time someone has said that in response to something I've done. (I assume you were talking to me)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »

This is the second time someone has said that in response to something I've done. (I assume you were talking to me)

I was. You must have had "successful" forts then. :D