Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants just standing around  (Read 763 times)

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants just standing around
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:01:30 am »

I know I read this somewhere else but I cant find the thread now. But was a fix ever found for migrants who turn up and dont work. Unassignable, sad, cows of dwarves just sitting around the edge of my map. Im at the point were im praying goblins arrive on top of them so I can get at least some satisfaction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants just standing around
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:02:51 am »

They do this to me, with flashing X's right?  They get their asses up and move after a little while.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:10:19 am »

Yea it bugs me. Its like they're half way through a wave and then stop and dont really know where they are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:11:22 am »

Culture shock, of sorts.  I don't see why it bugs you so much, they don't like, spend a whole season there.  Even the biggest waves aren't that bad.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:16:23 am »

Nah Im not talking about when you get a wave and they all wait for the rest to show up. Ive got dwarves who are standing at the edge of my map, for seasons, with "No Job". I can enlist them but they cant be ordered to do anything.

For instance. One of them is a carpenter. I can take all other dwarves labours off for carpentry, set 30 barrels to be made, have shit-tons of wood and he wont move a muscle. Just say "No Job" and sit there, i dont know, taking a shit or something I guess.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:18:45 am »

Is there fort access?  If there is, just figure a way to kill them.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:20:58 am »

Yeh, might have to, aye

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:38:59 am »

Your workshop isn't forbidden, is it?  If the material its made of is forbidden, the workshop shall also be forbidden.  This leads to a lot of confusing lack of action.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:50 am »

It sounds like they are unable to reach your fortress.  Make sure you haven't locked the doors or screwed up a ramp or otherwise made the outside inaccessible.  Also make sure there isn't a river or other impassible barrier separating the immigrants from your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:42 am »

Do you have a meeting area? Meeting area usually makes them rush inside.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:44 am »

Sounds like the same problem I had in 40d, I had to turn them all military and order them like, 7 tiles at a time til the got to my fort entrance. Any farther and they wouldn't budge. Probably not related at all considering this is 2010, but try giving them baby-step station orders and see if they budge.