Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fake limbs.  (Read 1615 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fake limbs.
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:26:19 pm »

To give those dwarves with limbs amputated by goblin surgery a better life!

(prosthetic legs could use the crutch walking skill)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Fake limbs.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »

Go one better: Prosthetic Dwarves! :P but i approve.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:11:59 am »

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

I think that prosthetic limbs are planned.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:05 am »

I remember several threads like this...

They always devolve (or is it Evolve?) into discussions about how much of a dwarf or adventurer you could purposefully chop off and replace with crazy things like implanting an axe in your skull like a mohawk or something so that you can kill people with headbutts.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:17 am »

Now can we place wooden legs?

Image a dwarf with a patch over his eye that got shot by a bolt , with a pirate hat on his head , some nice pirate clothes , a black boot and a wooden leg , harr harr

Or some Steel Legs... , steel arms.... . steel breast plates and steel helmets?

Dwarf Cyborgs anyone?
Desu

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:43:43 pm »

While I share your sentiment, a crossbow bolt in the eye isn't likely to leave you complaining of blindness. It's likely to leave you not complaining at all, ever, anymore.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:35:24 pm »

Interesting you should bring up prosthetics.  The other day I was drafting a never-quite-posted 'pseudo-RAW' to demonstrate an expansion upon somebody else's idea that I was riffing upon for flexible weaponry...  Here's a small section of it (with some still obviously unfinished bits and probably some un-RAW-like syntax that's just a placeholder):

Code: [Select]
#Grips
[ITEM_WEAPON_PART:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_GENERAL]
[OPTION:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_1H]
[OPTION:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_2H]
[OPTION:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_LOOP]
[OPTION:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_PROSTHETIC] for fun, profit, and the partially amputated?

[ITEM_WEAPON_PART:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_1H]
[PARTSIZE:1]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[ACCURACY_BONUS:<tba (high?)>]
[FORCE_BONUS:<tba (low?)>]

[ITEM_WEAPON_PART:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_2H]
[PARTSIZE:2]
[TWO_HANDED:<tba>]
[PARTATTACK:BLUNT:<tba>:<tba>:strike:strikes:pommel:<tba>]
[ACCURACY_BONUS:<tba (medium?)>]
[FORCE_BONUS:<tba (high?)>]

[ITEM_WEAPON_PART:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_LOOP]
[ACCURACY_BONUS:<tba (low?)>]
[FORCE_BONUS:<tba (v.high?)>]

[ITEM_WEAPON_PART:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_PROSTHETIC]
[ACCURACY_BONUS:<tba (v,high?)>]
[FORCE_BONUS:<tba (high?)>]

(To be integrated into the likes of:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON_GENERIC:HAMMER_TYPE]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[PARTS:ITEM_WEAPON_HEAD_FACED:ITEM_WEAPON_SHAFT:ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_GENERAL]
)

I could see ITEM_WEAPON_GRIP_PROSTHETIC being put onto the elsewhere-described ITEM_WEAPON_HEAD_TOOL as well, for the likes of pick-hands.  Or just a low PARTSIZE version of _SHAFT and _GRIP_PROSTHETIC being merely a peg-leg unless 'improved'.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:41 pm »

While I share your sentiment, a crossbow bolt in the eye isn't likely to leave you complaining of blindness. It's likely to leave you not complaining at all, ever, anymore.
Ok, so Gabrielle Gifford got top-slot modern medical care ASAP (and was extremely lucky, moreover!), and even so it's too early to say whether she'll be 'as she was' when finally pronounced 'recovered', but survive the initial trauma and potential for infections and I reckon a 'bolt from the blue' could be survived, statistically, if impact from such a messily ballistic thing as a bullet can be.

There are probably RL examples, as well, given our long history of flinging such things at each other.  Even accounting for the "Harold Godwinson" effect where he (or whichever poor soul might have been the inspiration for that particular immortalised segment of wool yarn and linen) would have had to deal with the more immediate threat of set of largely Norse migrants ending up with the upper hand in the melee and probably slipping the knife into (if not also dismembering) any fallen man who doesn't pipe up that he's only winded in a Frankish/whaever tongue.  And while not wearing any obviously Saxon garb, of course (although you'd do the same to one's own fallen, as well, so as not to prolong their death agonies.  After all, it's what you'd want yourself if and when you were dying of a mortal wound in some future engagement where your own luck ran out...).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:30:31 pm »

I remember several threads like this...

They always devolve (or is it Evolve?) into discussions about how much of a dwarf or adventurer you could purposefully chop off and replace with crazy things like implanting an axe in your skull like a mohawk or something so that you can kill people with headbutts.
Evolve, it they then manage to get back to the origenal topic, they devolved. Evolve != bigger and better.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:21 pm »

Evolve != bigger and better.

Spoiler: Evolve/Devolve (click to show/hide)

Back on subject, I must say that while I do tend to lose interest in (or indeed control of) forts once I get significant injured population, the only dwarfs I have ever seen using the Crutch-user skill are ones who inexplicable arrive with it (with no apparent need).  So I'm really not the best judge of how much use prosthetics would be, but I'm all for the possibility that once the CMD and the rest of the surgical and medical staff have done their utmost to deal with such limb-rending injuries, a craftsdwarf of some kind could be drafted in (either player choice or an unenforceable type of noble-like demand by the interested party) to create them a suitable prosthetic.

In the latter case, failure (or disinclination on the part of the Fort Mind) wouldn't help the mood of the individual (and maybe close friends and relatives, to a lesser degree) and would result in the current level of crippling.  Successful implementation might result in happy(/ier) thoughts, ability to move and/or work at a decent fraction (or more?  c.f. Oscar Pistorius) of normal dwarven speeds, and while maybe not full combat status (unless with 'weaponised' prosthetics), able to take part in a Training squad to pass on extensive experience and personal lessons with a little added poignancy perhaps giving a learning bonus...
Quote from: Possibly paraphrasing/misquoting the initially deskbound amputee recruitment sergeant in Starship Troopers
Welcome, son.  The corps made me the man I am today...

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »

Ok, so Gabrielle Gifford got top-slot modern medical care ASAP (and was extremely lucky, moreover!), and even so it's too early to say whether she'll be 'as she was' when finally pronounced 'recovered', but survive the initial trauma and potential for infections and I reckon a 'bolt from the blue' could be survived, statistically, if impact from such a messily ballistic thing as a bullet can be.

There are probably RL examples, as well, given our long history of flinging such things at each other.  Even accounting for the "Harold Godwinson" effect where he (or whichever poor soul might have been the inspiration for that particular immortalised segment of wool yarn and linen) would have had to deal with the more immediate threat of set of largely Norse migrants ending up with the upper hand in the melee and probably slipping the knife into (if not also dismembering) any fallen man who doesn't pipe up that he's only winded in a Frankish/whaever tongue.  And while not wearing any obviously Saxon garb, of course (although you'd do the same to one's own fallen, as well, so as not to prolong their death agonies.  After all, it's what you'd want yourself if and when you were dying of a mortal wound in some future engagement where your own luck ran out...).

Dwarves don't have the same kind of medical care, they won't have any care nearly as quickly as this person, and crossbows don't deform as much as bullets so they have a tendency to pass through their targets.. Also, I did not expect anyone to refer to a modern case. I think we can safely assume that a dwarf with a crossbow-bolt through the eye won't live much longer unless they weren't using that part of their brain much anyway. Not that I even meant for this to get this serious in the first place :P

mutabulis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:40 pm »

Even better than fake limbs, why not give those poor dorfs whom have lost legs wheelchairs. but not just any wheelchairs... these are DEATHchairs.

Using a large rock throne, 4 millstones for wheels. 4 chains for the linkages, 3 mechanisms, a miniature dwarven power reactor (NEW!) to power it made from 2 miniature toy water pumps, 2 miniature toy waterwheels, and a bucket of water.

Now your poor, legless dwarfs will ride into battle in style, moving down beasts, goblins, and anything else smaller than a colossus.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:52:14 am »

Even better than fake limbs, why not give those poor dorfs whom have lost legs wheelchairs. but not just any wheelchairs... these are DEATHchairs.

Using a large rock throne, 4 millstones for wheels. 4 chains for the linkages, 3 mechanisms, a miniature dwarven power reactor (NEW!) to power it made from 2 miniature toy water pumps, 2 miniature toy waterwheels, and a bucket of water.

Now your poor, legless dwarfs will ride into battle in style, moving down beasts, goblins, and anything else smaller than a colossus.
I'd vote for that. It's dwarven.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:32:45 am »

Now I just need a way to reliably remove the legs of all my dwarfs and equipt them all with these.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:48:38 am »

i like it but that is one step to close to a dwarf coal fired tank!
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.