Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured Megabeasts  (Read 711 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Captured Megabeasts
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:08:11 pm »

Or are they semi-megabeasts?  I've got a caged cyclops, ettin, and minotaur.  What should I do with them?  Since many of these have equip tags in the raws, can I give them weapons or armor somehow?  I'd like to build a killer lair, get a steel equiped minotaur in a pit and drop nobles prisoners into it.  Alternative is to set a legendary wrestler or two and see if they can wrestle them to death, or just mega vs mega.

Thoughts?

Seraphaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captured Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:09 am »

Ooh sounds like alot of fun, haven't heard that it's possible to equip hostile creatures without altering the game.

But thanks toy our post I had a vision of an elaborate maze, with a single minotaur and a hole in the ceiling to drop goblins in...

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:49:52 am »

if they r strong enough, i just let my marksdwarves train shooting with them.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:54:49 am »

Whatever you do, DO NOT EDIT THEM TO BE PETS.

Crashes the game when you remove them from their cage.  :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:14:25 am »

Minotaurs and such have the [EQUIP] token, which means that they'll theoretically use things, not that I've ever seen it done.  I have heard plenty about semi-megabeast grabbing things to use as weapons though.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »

I fought a training spear wielding minotaur on my adventurer once. He was indeed well trained (i couldn't hit him), but i finally got him after he tried to bash my companions copper helm in with his spear for so long that he over-exerted himself.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »

I'm not sure if it would work, but I would dumpequipment items into a lair area and then release them into it. Perhaps they will pick them up if you dropped in a goblin or two. Tell us if you get it to work.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »

Sadly that fort died.  A bit of trouble with FPS, goblin ambushes, and also a poorly designing plumbing system, but that's TOTALLY secondary... probably...

Anyways, since these guys don't avoid traps, it's rather easy to catch them.  As soon as they appear, set your civilian alert to have everyone run inside, and then let them run into your cage traps.  I always set 1-5 cages at my entrance, enough to skim a few invaders off the top for me to use in gladiator pits, execution pits, or whatever project requires live goblins.  Also, setting cages on the corners of your base catches quite a few critters.  Anything that approaches from behind or to the side of your base, will path their way alongside the base, running beside the wall.  A few traps along the wall will catch most things that path towards you.

As soon as is convenient, I'll try capturing a few of these and dropping them in a pit with gobbo and armor, see if they decide to equip anything.  Might add another big beast, so that they'll try and get whatever advantage they can and be more likely to equip.  It's science time, in any case.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »

Back in 40d, I captured a Titan that was revered as a goddess and a pair of male and female dragons. 

Although the male was an utter wuss.  Somehow, he got his nose cut off in worldgen, and he spent all his time passed out from the pain.  Literally, "oh no! A dragon is rampaging, and has appeared on our ma- oh, wait, no, he's unconscious from the pain."

Took the stupid thing a year to finally, and VERY anti-climactically, manage to crawl into my cage trap.

I liked the idea of having a caged Titan very much, though, and wound up building my new Grand Hall around the idea of having her at the end of it, behind a moat, chained up like King Kong.  I kept the dragons in the zoo along the hallway leading up to it.  I would have tried breeding them, but they unfortunately couldn't do that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare