Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So this is Adventure Mode... where do I start?  (Read 1701 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
So this is Adventure Mode... where do I start?
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »

I've read the tutorials, learnt the controls, grasp the basics (I think, I still can't sharpen rocks for some reason) but since I'm now on 3 adventurers and six companions and counting (all of whom died fighting the same monster) I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong.

How do I actually get momentum going in this mode? Do I just wander around looking for things to kill? Do different hamlets / places give different quests? What do I do to make sure my adventure isn't brutally short.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
Re: So this is Adventure Mode... where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »

Do a lot of quests, torture people, beat people with their own arm, do even more quests, slay everyone you can.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:28:07 pm »

Do a lot of quests, torture people, beat people with their own arm, do even more quests, slay everyone you can.

Where do I find different quests though? Do different settlements give different ones?

Also, I believe that at the moment you don't need to eat or drink? Is that true?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

You can if you want to, but no, it's not required.
I, yeah, just took the first quest I could, pulled it off, repeat that for a while, got bigger quests and got soldiers to join me, and so on until I was able to equip and train myself to be pretty damn strong.
Now if only I could find a single forest retreat, dark fortress, or mountain hall.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:21:09 pm »

You can if you want to, but no, it's not required.
I, yeah, just took the first quest I could, pulled it off, repeat that for a while, got bigger quests and got soldiers to join me, and so on until I was able to equip and train myself to be pretty damn strong.
Now if only I could find a single forest retreat, dark fortress, or mountain hall.

But do other hamlets give other quests?

Because my first quest ever in this world is to kill one night monster in a den of three, where they all come at you at once. I've lost (now) five adventurers and about ten human companions. And I can't find anything to grind my skills on besides groundhogs, and even those are too fast to catch!

Is this seriously it?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

I'm sure other hamlets have other quests. Try townsfolk, too, they'll send you off to fight "outlaws" and somesuch.
Also, I strongly advise getting good at sneaking - it's worked wonders for me.
Spoiler: Wonders (click to show/hide)
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »

You want a good start, find sand, pick up a peice of sand sell to shop for gold, repick up disowned sand and sell until you have enough coins to buy some armor (works better with sand in the shop) then either go "train with rocks or swimming up a river while killing fish (only if you got swimming) or both or go straight for the quests that villages will give you like 3-5 until you are good enough to fight a pile of night creatures, oh and sneak everywhere, alot...you can do recon on any quest all alone or drag your followers into a fight, to soften up the target if you have enough sneak to not be seen.

ninja'd on the sneak...
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »

Personally, my adventurer (who I need to get back to, thanks for reminding me) just kept asking for more and more quests, then picked all the ones that weren't monsters (i.e. bandits), wandered off there, quietly picked off supporters with ranged combat then if the main guy hasn't wandered off beyond my ability to find him (which happened at some sites, roll on the Tracking development item!) went in there and took him down.  Do as many of these as practical (avoiding the big stuff that might be a problem, for now, and they're still on hold) and then wander back into the nearest town (or castle) to some manner of adulation (even if they hadn't been the ones asking me to kill these guys, they obviously would have if I'd enquired beforehand) and add to the possible quests.

As far as armour and supplies, I mostly looted from those I killed (having more often than not stayed travelling around the back end of nowhere, despite the proliferation of settlements, surviving on butchered wildlife, for which you need the sharpened stones (that are also fairly useful for throwing!)) because the shops I visit are often less than fully-stocked with anything I'm actually looking for.

I've survived a night-creature attack early on (was nearly next to a place of refuge) by somehow managing to dodge most hits, but a silly wandering local might have taken the brunt of the attacks and not one of my attempted strikes hit home, IIRC.  From that encounter, I've decided to avoid the supernatural for the time-being.  Who knows how lucky I've been in that regard, or if I've just been overcautious.

So, my advice about that monster would be to forget it, for now.  Maybe I'm overcautious, but your approach seem to end up suicidal.  I'm sure that if you ask a few more questions of the right people you can get a 'regular' enemy to stalk.

And as for stones... to paraphrase the MC at the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe: The secret is to bang those rocks together.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

In my most recent Adventure Mode bout, I really discovered the art of efficient movement. It sounds like your night creature den is a pretty tough obstacle, but I would recommend trying to go at them with a thrower and just trying to see if you can drag the fight on for a while, during which you pelt them with either bolts or sharpened rocks. Also, really focus on not getting doubled. What frequently happens when you have multiple opponents in reach is that one of them will knock you down and the other gets a deadly headshot while you're prone. Like everyone else said, you should probably try to get some skills from bandits or something first, but when you are ready to confront these guys these are some things to keep in mind.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »

Just in case the End Of The Universe thing doesn't sort things out, drop whatever you have in your hands and replace them with rocks.
You'll use the rock in one hand to knap the rock in the other hand.
After that's done you can just put it away and get your stuff back.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »

Just in case the End Of The Universe thing doesn't sort things out, drop whatever you have in your hands and replace them with rocks.

Right, okay. How do I equip things? Because at the moment I can get him to drop things, and I can get him to somehow wear tonnes of capes.
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »

Right, okay. How do I equip things? Because at the moment I can get him to drop things, and I can get him to somehow wear tonnes of capes.
Just pick up two rocks after dropping what is already in your hands.
If they get put in your backpack press R to take them out.
Then you can knap them.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »

If you want to equip something it has to be in your grasp not in a bag, and "w", at least I think...things that arnt capes dont stack with same clothes things
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

If at first you dont succeed...

Find a nice lonely innocent, alone in their home...

And show them what you can do...

*cough*

Remember that capitol letters do different stuff to lowercase. t wont make you travel. T will.
Experiment! :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.